Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

unvented gas heaters

jp_2
jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
better to go with a vented heater with outside make up air.

unvented heaters look great on paper. sounds like a dusty enviroment too.

i know they want them because they cost less. if they want to save a ton of money, they can live in a tent.

Comments

• Paul_99
    Paul_99 Member Posts: 1
    unvented gas heaters

I need more information on the use of unvented gas heaters.

I have a customer that wants to install two DESA Heating Product unvented gas heater. These heaters would be installed in a addition (480 sq/ft) off of the main house that is used as a furniture workshop. The floors and wall are exposed plywood and�several chemicals are stored in this room along with a swimming pool pumping system. There is a passage door separating the shop�from the house.

The building construction is tight and there is no other makeup air so I am also concerned with the room always being damp and mold will grow. Also will the flame be a concern with wood and chemical in storage?

Please tell me if these units are ok for this application and are the side effects. The heaters will be installed on an exterior wall.

• Vent Free Gas Heaters

Paul,

You have just described absolutely the worst possible environment where one could ever install a vent free gas heater.

It would take too long to describe all of the problems that would occur if those heaters were installed for that use.

The short answer is NOooooooooooo.

Ed Carey
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    With jp

No go..Chemicals and Saw dust will be a problem! like jp said you shall have the Combustion air from outside!

And even with the the air coming from outside most good manufactures will void the warranty of the boiler if pool chemicals are even just stored in the same room that the boiler is installed at!

As far as i understand Chlorine turns into Hydrochloric acid when it goes thru the combustion chamber! maybe someone on the wall can confirm this?
  • kpc_70
    kpc_70 Member Posts: 18
    run away....

they suck...You might as well just install one of the salamander heaters and or a high hat heater....
  • yep, chlorine alone

will do a number on it, and a customer had a pool heater/ boiler take a crap in a matter of months in their pump room. and it was even forced air vented. it took years, but literally, the bottom fell out of the previous one
  • The installation isntructions

for all unvented heaters will prevent you from doing the installation you are looking to carry out.

Go with a side wall direct vent application which gets its air for combustion from outside and contamination is not a concern as the combustion chamber is sealed.
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573

Tim, Even with the combustion air from outside some manufactures will Void the warranty if chemicals are present!
  • You are correct but

you will at least get a longer life if not using inside air. Those applications are tough. I often tell folks to put an addition on to the building and isolate the equipment completly. Just cost a lot more to do that.
  • Radiant Alternative

We have very successfully installed electric radiant panels made by Comfort Cove in lieu of ventless gas heaters. They are inexpensive (when ordering, remember to ask for your contractor's discount), look good, are easy to install and inexpensive to run. Check them out at:
    http://www.radiantsystemsinc.com/

"Opportunities are never lost, someone will take the ones you miss."
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,048
    not a good app

Vent free heaters are intended for supplemental use in the residence. I've used them at home and I've run them in my workshop for trial and for very short time periods. Cleanliness is very important to a vf heater. Dusty, dirty environments are terrible for them. As well, whatever is airborne will go thru that burner and it will not come out smelling better that it went in. Direct vent and be happy. I represent Rinnai but also run a Rinnai 1004 in my shop and love it. I do clean the firlters regularly and seasonally take the cover off and use compressed air to clean the blower wheels and get dust off the pcb. In that environment, maintenance of anything is key.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Just had a customer

who threw out his vent less gas unit. The amount of moisture it added to his basement was unreal. The humidity level was so high that the joist space insulation was soaked where it met the outside walls.

He was going to use two of these as his basement heat source. After trying them he won't even s them in his garage
This discussion has been closed.