Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

combustion testing charges

clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,143
i know that pricing is never discussed except i need a little help to justify a price that was given on a job and of course the GC thinks where ripping him off aside from the programming ,wiring of the system 5 pumps ,7 zone valves LWCO and myself laying the piping out for a moonlighter who was doing the job and then perform all the manafacture required start up testing .I know that prices can not be discussed here so if you could e mail with your responce it would let me know if i,m off base i already know that i'll be getting stiffed but i also know that when the time comes for service they are definety on there own thanks much clammy RDEUZA@aol.com

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• clammy
    Bump

Just bumping it up ,a thanks to the few replies i have gotten still waiting for a few more so far i find i work to cheap but i guess niot cheap enough for GC,s with layed off moon lighter thansk peace and good luck clammy

NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    how much time?

how much time do you allocate for making the combustion test? if it has never been done before on the boiler [a good possibility], then you have to get out the drill and make the hole in the flue,calibrate the analyser to ambient air,put the probe in, fire up the boiler, wait for stabilization, and take the readings. that plus making adjustments, must be at least an hour of time.

can the customer compare that with several hours of soot removal every season, plus the increase in wasted fuel? too bad there is an oil glut now, so people don't see the necessity of fuel economy, and flame adjustment!--nbc
  • clammy
    time

NBC this was for a mod con i usually figure about 40 minutes at the most if everything is in order on new systems .as for cleanings on mod con i fiqure about a mimiun of 2 to 2 1/2 hours dependimg if provision where made to make access easily,like the unit is on a stand making it easy to acess the botton condensate trap hook up which i have only seen on my installs it seems alot of guys just sit them on the floor making it very hard to access the drain and my thought is they ain't planning on doing any service espically cleanings it seems to some there ain't enough money to be made and it's more of a hassle plus they don't clue the HO's that the unit requires any more service then there old CI boiler so i always get the complaint that there old system never needed service and they complain about the added service costs not taking the lower gas bill.I believe that this is not only short sided on the installation contractor but also on the Custermer they for get how quickly why they went for the mod con to save money on chimmey construstion and or liining repair to existing chimmey and lets not forget combustion air also peace and good luck clammy

NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

Regardless of 10 min or 59 min, I charge a min of 1 hour period. If there are 2 appliances to check, I do a flat rate charge of 1.5 hours. Here this is called a "green sticker" service which means the CO and manifold pressure are certified OK, and I always leave a printout and put one in their file.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998

Don't forget to charge for the analyser!
This discussion has been closed.