Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

High Winds & Updraft problem with Lennox gas boiler

ted_18
ted_18 Member Posts: 2
I have a problem with my 3 year old Lennox gas boiler. It is a Lennox GWB8-IE high efficiency gas boiler vented out the chimney via a liner terminating with a rain cap.
My inducer fan blower spins clock wise due to an updraft
in the basement but when it is very windy the blower fan spins so fast that when it requires heat via the thermostat the pressure switch fails and no ignition/ heat results but the blower continues to run.
My wife and I then have to turn off the system. Slow down the fan to a stop and then flick the switch to start it up ...and away it goes.
We have done this at least 15 times since Christmas and it occurred last year many times as well.
I have contacted my Installer and they are trying to help, it is on going ...it has been too slow . I feel I may need a high wind cap to prevent the updraft during high wind days.
This only happens on very windy days.
I have also contacted the Lennox rep in the area and I am trying to get him to come out to see the problem.
A real frustrating situation. Do I require a special high wind cap to neutralize the winds?
No dampers of any type are recommended by Dunkirk !
The problem is an updraft. It has been suggested to drill a hole 12" below where the vent pipe enters the chimney wall to create an easier passage for the updraft. This would stop the updraft flow thru the boiler and into the vent blower . Too easy??
I hope you can contact me with a solution.

Ted

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Ted

I'm not a gas man, oil is my trade, but who installed this thing? And why hasn't Lennox or someone looked more closely at your situation? I'd hate to see another gas exspolsion. If this is a true high effidiency, why is it piped into a chimney, and not vented PVC? If you had oil heat, you'd have service and resolutions. That won't go over well lol. peace
  • ted_18
    ted_18 Member Posts: 2

Hi ,
    Yes, my installer and lennox know about the situation but they are slow to act. That is why I am here to ask for opinions.
    This boiler can vent thru chimney or optionally horizontally via instal instructions.
    How do you deal with updraft that is increased with high winds?

Ted
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    draft regulation

There has to be a way to regulate the draft. Whether you do so at the chimney or the boiler. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.