Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is there a plumbinghelp.com? Old faucet questions.

more pics.

Comments

• Luke Lefever_3
    Luke Lefever_3 Member Posts: 38
    OT Need help tracking down options for very old tub filler.

Good morning fellow wetheads. I know this isn't REALLY the forum for this- but I figure a lot of you are plumbers in addition to heating men. We have a customer with a VERY old American Standard tub filler. It is worn pretty badly internally. Someone, prior to us, tried to cut new seats into it and there isn't much left for the faucet washer to seal against. The customer would like to keep the style of the bathroom. Is anyone aware of a faucet that would be somewhat similar, or adaptable, or what can you think of creatively that we could offer to her.

We've thought about taking the valve into a weld shop and having the seat area built up with brazing, then tapping it for a new faucet seat. That would probably mean that it would need to be re-plated. We've thought of trying to machine out the internals and somehow getting modern internals into it. We've looked at Strom, Sign of the Crab and Restoration Hardware to see if they have anything similar. No dice. Any input would be awesome.

Thanks,

Luke Lefever
    Lefever Plumbing & Heating, Inc.
    Elkhart, IN
  • unless...

Unless that tub filler have prv on supplies, those valves and filler are illegal by all plumbing codes.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    parts

Luke, check this site www.alfanoplumbingparts.com, This a supply house in Queens N.Y, this was the place to go when we needed old parts, hope this helps
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    american standard

what a pretty old tub faucet, although probably non-code complying in rsgard to the placement of the spout. does it have removable valve seats, which someone could adapt from some other model?

alternatively, a listing could be placed on e-bay with a very high reserve, and identified as "looking for this", instead of "for sale"--nbc
  • Seen that type before,

but the filler was actually "down-in" on the side of the tub with a little chrome cap similar to an overflow cover.
    As you know, they take really large washers.
    I would think a talented machinist could create another tapping inside for a more common seat without damaging the plating any farther, unless the integral portions have been cut away.

Dave
  • Luke Lefever_3

I like that idea- except that someone has removed most of the "meat" of the casting- leaving very little to attach to. You're right, the faucet washers are enormous, like larger than a US Quarter.
  • Luke Lefever_3

Mikey- thanks for the link- I'll check with them.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    new york replacement parts

"New York Replacement Parts" probably has them in stock. if not

Phone:
    (845) 473-6700
    Toll Free:
    1-866-473-6711
    Fax:
    (845) 473-6768

NYRP A Complete Plumbing and Heating Supply Company

they will make them for you. lexington ave nyc
  • Glen_7
    Glen_7 Member Posts: 82

Luke,

I have the exact hardware in one of my bathrooms. If your successful findng parts, let me know. Thanks.
  • There's was a guy

in my area, the go-to guy for old faucets and fixtures. What he didn't have in his garage, he could re-build; don't know if he's still around:

Tucker Seymour (510)236-1682

Tell him I sent you.
  • JJ_4
    JJ_4 Member Posts: 146
    I'm not a plumber so I have a question..

No idea why this double posted....see below.
  • JJ_4
    I'm not a plumber so I have a question..

What do you mean by a "prv on supplies"? I thought a prv was a pressure regulating valve. Also, in laymans terms, why is this illegal? Does it have something to do with contamination from the tub water back into the spout is possible if the spout is in the tub? Thanks
  • Yes, it does

the spout MUST BE ABOVE the flood level rim of the fixture OR the faucets must be fitted with some kind of vacuum breaker/backflow device on the supply piping.
    Pull-out spouts on kitchen taps all have these built-in, also outside spigots(for the garden hose) too,, many do not though.

Dave
  • JJ_4
    Maybe something like this....

Thanks Dave.

Maybe they could replace with something new that would meet the code from this site:

http://www.kitchen-bath-plus.com/index.php/cPath/60

These put the spout out of the tub and have a similar look especially if the shower wand could be left off. Also, maybe the old spout hole could be used for an overflow connection.
  • Luke Lefever_3

Alan- Tucker is still around- I just talked to him on the phone. He's had a stroke and his speech is a little slow, but he gave me some great advice. He claims to be "out of the business" then proceeded to tell me exactly how he'd fix it if it were his.

Thanks for the suggestion.

At this point, I'v sent email pics to New York Replacement Parts as well as Alfano Supply. If they can't help, then we'll pursue Tuckers idea.

Thanks, Luke
  • Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    Locke Plumbing

Luke, I get all my old American Standard toilet parts from Locke Plumbing. They have the original high quality parts. They also have faucet parts. Great people to deal with.
    Locke Plumbing Supply
    754 North Broadway
    Knoxville, TN 37917
    Monday thru Friday 9:00a.m. - 3:00 p.m. EST
    CLOSED SATURDAY'S AND SUNDAY'S
    Phone (865) 525-9318

Here is the link to their site:

http://www.lockeplumbing.com/
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

These guys have some nice looking to code faucets that may work for you. I never seem to get a thanks for repairing old faucets like those as once I touch them people think they are good for ever, often so much of the workings are worn the new parts are short lived or some other part fails. LIke they leak from the fill because now the faucet shuts off so the gasket gets to dry out over night. http://www.signaturehardware.com/class1332
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.