Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Please help. could be wrong forum but im desparate!

Bob_121
Bob_121 Member Posts: 22
Hi everyone.
i know i am probably posting in wrong forum, but i have a leak coming from this part and need help identifying it so i can replace it because it is flooding my basement.
Can anyone please lend a hand?

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Annie

Looks like a water filter. Its probably serving either the water connection to a refrigerator or to a kitchen sink faucet. Follow the small pipe away from this fixture, find the valve and shut it off. Remember loosy lefty, righty tighty (turn it clockwise to turn off). Then call a plumber.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,143
    ice machine filter

Ann the part looks like a ice machine filter and if you follow the copper water line there should be a shut off ,if you cannot find a shut off you should contact a local plumber that your familar with ,hope that this help peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• paul_79
    paul_79 Member Posts: 91
    leak

looks like a filter for water line to the refrigerator ice machine/water dispenser
  • Bob_121

Thank you all for the quick response.
    I will shut off the valve and call a plumber.

THANKS TO ALL for helping me on this.

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    This

is an amazing thread. Look at the time stamps on the posts.

Retired and loving it.
  • Bob_121

yes. its very active and i am much appreciated of the help found here.
    Thanks to Dan and all the pros on here that help me through this mess.

i followed the valve to underneath the kitchen sink the level above.
    now which one of these should i shut off?

Thanks!!
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,337

Annie,

Those valves shut off the water to the kitchen sink and the dishwasher.

Look at the filter and see if there is a directional arrow. Follow it in the opposite direction to see if there is a shut off valve-there should be.

Jack
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    Try

shutting (clockwise) the horizontal middle (lowest) valve, the one w/ the copper "pigtail" loop exiting from it to the right.

The left vertical valve should be faucet hot water shutoff, the right vertical valve should be faucet cold water shut off.

I'm guessing the copper tube loop eventually goes thru the floor to the filter in the cellar, below, and then the other copper tube leaving the filter goes to your refrigerator ice maker or similar device. When you find a valve (it may be even a bit smaller that the ones pictured) shut it off (clockwise -- "righty, tighty, lefty loosey").

Alternately, follow the copper tubes from the leaking blue filter as far as you can, one end should end up at a valve eventually, the other end should eventually end up at an appliance.
  • Bob_121

Thanks everyone!
  • Now, lets help her with

Now, lets help her with the steam heating system....
  • Tekkie
    Tekkie Member Posts: 58
    Go other way

You did a great job of finding what the filter is feeding but you need to go to the other end of the filter and find where the water is coming FROM. There almost has to be a shut off valve otherwise how would the filter cartridge be replaced? May as well replace the cartridge too if the leak can be fixed.
  • JJ_4
    JJ_4 Member Posts: 146
    Picture

What I want to know is how you snuck into my house and got a picture under my kitchen sink!
  • rene_4
    rene_4 Member Posts: 27

scrook,
    Why would you feed the refigerator ice machine oe anything else with hot water. You said yourself that the left pipe is for hot water. I thinks she'll find that the loop goes to a dishwasher as stated earlier.

Rene
This discussion has been closed.