Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pregnant Boiler

Many times businesses and municipalities have boiler insurance in their property policies. When we replaced the boiler in our city hall a few years ago, my sister-in-law (whose agency has the city insured), reminded us of that. They received a pro-rated claim check for $6800. Its at least worth looking into.

"Opportunities are never lost, someone will take the ones you miss."

Comments

• Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Responded to a no-heat call on Friday

and I didn't get all of the particulars but the people at this church heard a loud bang and later realized that they had no more heat.

This is a Peerless 211A-04, and even with fairly modern controls and safeties, it seems the main gas valve opened and filled the chamber with gas and must have experienced a delayed or intermittant ignition because it eventually ignited and blew the insulation out and de-formed the boiler jacket. (No idea at this point what happened to the pilot flame throughout this sequence.)

They want a price on a high-efficiency. We'll get them a price on a Knight XL today.

Regards,

PR
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Holy Humpdey Dumpdey Boiler Batman....

It might be worth while to have an asbestos air test performed. The gaskets between the sections might have been compromised.

Fortunately for them, the combustion air penetrations probably relieved the concusion, otherwise the steeple might have been blown off..

Proceed with caution. An air test will run around $300.00.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• I bet...

the pilot orifice was dirty and the pilot real small. I have seen some that were just big enough to either power the thermocouple or carry the electrical signal to the ignition box and then the main valve opens and KABOOM.

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    peerless

they might still benefit from fixing this not-so-old 211. probably no new sections would be needed-maybe only gaskets. my 211-a has electronic ignition which would be an easy retrofit, along with the peerless "mod-u-pack hi-lo burner system for better efficiency. if needed. many code problems might be reduced by a repair, rather than a replacement.

one thing is certain, if they cannot have simple maintainance performed, like having the pilot/burner cleaned every year, they should not have a more complicated hi-efficiency boiler. also the life-span of the new boiler may not equal that of this not-so-old peerless [come on perry jump on this one]!--nbc
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Repair not likely

The church is interested in reducing their fuel consumption across the board. Our HVAC shop is also pricing 3 new rooftop units.

They (have now)requested two high efficiency boilers instead of 1 larger one. They have opened the door, I just need to walk thru it at dazzle them with my....uh....bril...no that's not it....my.....smile, yeah thats it, dazzle them with my smile.

PR
  • scrook_3
    scrook_3 Member Posts: 64
    they probably believed

"gas needs no maintenance..." at least now they know.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Either that

or if it's electric spark-to-pilot ignition, the main gas valve opened before it should have, flooding the firing zone with gas. When the pilot lit, it caused the explosion.

I agree that if there were maintenance issues with the Peerless, they're certain to have worse issues with a mod-con. Maybe a pair of wet-base power-burner boilers?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    kaBoom

"Ehhhh Nice Kaboom Wiley" (buggs bunny)
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    delayed ignition

what ever happened to this boiler? did they go with an all-new system, or repair the old one? did you ever find out how such a thing could have happened?--nbc
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Proposal still pending

I know of a local HVAC company bidding the boiler replacement so they can compare. No news as of yet.

Regards,

PR
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    insurable event?

i wonder if a minor explosion counts as an insurable event? certainly damage to the structure is covered, but don't know about the boiler-especially if badly maintained--nbc
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    Paul

They would not get You.
This discussion has been closed.