Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bubbled pex - DF

Dan Foley
Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,260
In my 15+ years of installing pex in radiant systems, I have never run across this - until now. The GC called to say one of our loops had bubbled. Luckily, he caught it before the dry-pack stone mud base went down. He claims it "just happened".

I am not so sure it "just happened". The tubing was under 100PSI air pressure and, unbelievably, it held pressure even when bubbled. There was a lot of steel on this project and I believe a welder dropped a red ant on the tubing causing it to bubble. Pure speculation but I have nothing else to go on. Any thoughts? -DF

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=262&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Bubble

That's a defect caused by outside forces. JMO.
  • bb_10
    bb_10 Member Posts: 29
    send it

to the manufacture and let them determine the cause. I think if it was bad pipe there would be more problems.

No way is it by 100 psi air pressure.

At least it was caught before and can be addressed.

bb
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Dan...

Dan, send the piece back to the Uponor lab, after talking to your rep. They will certify the cause. You'll need the batch # for the tubing. I had a similar case 14 years ago when a customer accused Wirsbo of making defective tubing, which had leaked after his son stabbed the tubing over 40 times when it was on hydraulic test, before the pour. This happened the day after OJ was found not guilty. No bloody glove...

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike C._4
    Mike C._4 Member Posts: 56
    Do your own test

That tubing got hit with weld splatter. Take a piece of the tubing and hit it with a heated piece of wire/solder. I'll bet it will look just like the floor tube. Show that to the GC.

Mike

• steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185

Just curious... I haven't done any radiant jobs, but in the last photo, I see you used 2 metal 1 hole clips.

Could the metal cut a hole in the tubing from expanding and contracting over time ?
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    Those are

EMT clips and I have used them in overpours. They are not that tight, but will hold the pex down in the turns.

I want an air stapler like that.
  • Slag

That totally looks like hot welding slag, We see the same thing happen on rubber roofs when welding. They should be covering your work with fire blankets when welding over head. I was on a project once where a roof caught fire from welding cost 250,000 to repair!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,832
    same bubble

when you get a torch too close to air pressurized pex. The slag that may have caused that should be nearby, and a burn mark on the tube? Also other spatter trails.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.