Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Furnace short cycles

Kool Rod
Kool Rod Member Posts: 175
Paul- We need to know more about your heating system. Exactly what sort of heating system do you have?

- Rod

Comments

• paul_98
    paul_98 Member Posts: 4
    Oil Furnace short cycles

I have a oil furnace which short cycles.I have changed the programable thermostat and still have this problem.During the day the temp is lower and when the furnace comes on to warm up the house its fine as long as the temp needs to rise a couple of degrees.The problem is during the evening when it is trying to hold a specific temp.This is the only time I have this problem. any help would be appreciated.
    thanks Paul
  • SHORT CYCLING..

You should do a heatloss calculation to see if the boiler is sized to the heating load. If not, there are a few things you might be able to do mitigate the problem. Is this a long term problem, or something recent?
  • paul_98

It is a Lincon Barriere, Oil fired warm air furnace .
    model flo-115db
    Im not sure exactly what else you are looking for?
    Paul
  • paul_98

the problem started this heating season.We had a serviceman out to look at the problem and he told us it was the programable thermostat.we replaced this with two new ones and still have the problem.
    Paul
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

How is the air filter? I have seen a dirty filter cause this issue. Might even be to "thick", the more densely pleated filters are killer to marginally sized ductwork.
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    short cycling

when you mean short cycling is tha fan staying on when the burner goes off and is the fan on when it comes back on.....or the furnace will shutoff completely then come on again?......and how frequent is this short cycling?
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • paul_98
    Changed air filter

It was as simple as changing the air filter.
    problem solved!!!
    Thanks to everyone for the great help.
    Paul
This discussion has been closed.