Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BTU metering?

Eric_6
Eric_6 Member Posts: 25
We are also in the process of Btu metering solar and boiler
outputs for a residence. The iWorx (Taco) has a module that
will do 3 zones of metering and you can link many of them together and with their LCI-2 and reporting module you can monitor and bill from the computer.

Really hope Taco manages this and promotes it well as there is a need for it. Taco can compete with Tekmar where
Innovex was just to small.

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,284
    Is anyone doing BTU metering?

I get lots of requests from landlords wanting to split up their tenants' heating bills without buying all the usual stuff that goes with that.

What's up with BTU metering?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,143
    might help

Hello John i don't know if it helps but when i was in germany 10 or so years ago i had noticed that the rads in my friends apartment had a digital device welded to the panel rads which read in watts ,i was told the these registered the watt out put of the rad and if the tenant went over the estimated watt usuage for there unit they paid a sur charge ,i had noticed them in alot of apartments i had been in the nurmberg area,never was able to get a real lead on them put they all stated it was nothing new peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,143
    forget this

On another note in the boiler room they also used these meters to estimate how much heat went out of the system and what was returning and also how much the system was by pass through the pdv being the sysytem was all trv,s and was a2 pipe system they knew what was coming out of the boiler ,by pass and return so total estimating of heat lose through building piping was not a unknown ,but it could not be much being ever pipe was insulated at a minum with the pipe size 3/4 pipe 3/4 wall insulation 2 inch pipe 2 wall thickness insultion ,ps i did alot of asking to the heating techs foremenand he was glad to answer truely amazing craftmanship good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• The local district heat utility

here, has BTU meters at each customer and bills them by the BTU. Its a gpm meter with supply and return temp sensors that tie to a digital read out. they're european.... dont know te brand but I'm sure a googal search of btu meters would find lots of info.
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Innovex

I was doing a project on 5 airplane hangers - radiant heat, 1 boiler room, with btu metering. A company named Innovex Technologies has boiler controls, flow and temp sensors, and a LCD controller that will supposedly do all this - LON based. It has internet access, remote control access etc. Great looking literature, and the ex-principal Roger, was a good salesman.

We started in this installation a few months ago and ran into issues. Very marginal documentation - support issues, missing components - the current installation is most likely going to be scrapped. I believe they (Innovex/Roger) were pre-occupied in negotiations and closing a sale transferring all the company assets to Taco.

Taco purchased this company a few months ago - they were showing it at ASHRAE in Chicago this past January. Roger was there working the booth on this product. I'm hoping that they will do this line justice - they really have something good - but it was poorly marketed, poorly documented, poorly supported.

I have to contact the hangar owner where this product is already partially installed. He has not paid for anything yet - understandably, but is not interested in being a test case. We already have another customer who wants it and we are going to try and re-install on his residence. I would imagine I will be in contact with people at Taco now as we try and complete this new installation as Innovex no longer exits.

If you want, contact me, I'll email you more information.

Glenn
  • JohnNY
    Very interesting

Glenn, I'll follow up with you during the week.

There is a very real market for this stuff here in NYC and, I would think, in the bigger cities.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • scrook_3
    scrook_3 Member Posts: 64

Be sure to check your state's requirements for meter calibration requirements / recalibration intervals if you're using them for billing.
  • Josh M.
    Josh M. Member Posts: 359

Siggy wrote an article on it a few months ago. Look it up, very informative.
  • JohnNY
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Josh M.

Plumbing and Mechanical Magazine. Middle of last year sometime. I bet if you do a search at the P&M magazine website you can find it.
  • Tony Conner_2
    Tony Conner_2 Member Posts: 443
    BTU metering?

The landlords may want to check the legal aspects of this. In any jurisdiction that I'm aware of, you MUST be a utility to bill somebody for services such as this.
  • JohnNY
    I've got it here, Josh.

Definitely a good read.
    Somewhat less entertaining than, say, watching Beyonc
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Josh M.

Ya, it's pretty dry but I'll be darned if I haven't referred to it at least 5 times already.

We have been using Istec meters for a few Solar jobs for the Washington State University. I have yet to do our first big apartment complex, though I am looking for those jobs.
This discussion has been closed.