Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Inline air elimination/again

don_205
don_205 Member Posts: 66
I have a few question about a inline air seperator or inline air seperator/dirt elimination.

I was called out to a church that is having big time issue with air problem.Another company was called in and they added a inline air seperator.

The problem I'm having is that the one that is install does not look like any I've seen before.The supply coming out of the boiler enter in the side at the top of the seperator and then exit on the side at the bottom.It has a bottom tap
for mug leg I assume and a tap for the top for float vent.
On the other side at the bottom is another opening thats like 1 1/2 that has a cover over it.Then there is the 1/2 inch tapping for a ball valve which they have cap off.

Is this a double duty device?

All the zone circ are pipe in on the return manifold pumping
into the boiler.I did check and the expansion tank is pipe into the supply so it is pumping away from the point of no pressure change.
I know it would be alot better if the pumps were mounted on the supply to help aid in the air removal and I'll talk to them more about this.

The problem they're having is air problem and the boiler short cycing acourse.Also the boiler is making some loud rumbling noise.I did stick the stack and the boiler is putting out high co and very low 02.We will be addressing this tomorrow.

I would also like to know with this seperator that enter and exit like it does will it create issue with flow?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jim P
    Jim P Member Posts: 29
    Pumping away

If the circs are on the return and the expansion tank is on the supply then I believe the circs would be pumping torward the expansion tank
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,832
    A B&G

Rolairtrol perhaps?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • don_201
    don_201 Member Posts: 19
    It looks

It looks something like the b&g other then the extra tapping it has right below the one on the left side.

Would it be correct to assume that the supply coming off the boiler should enter from the bottom of the seperator and then exit from the top to create the force thru the baffle and drive the air to the top.

They are trying to locate the paper work on the one in question.

Thanks for the replys.

• don_205
    hmmmm

I've must have stumple on to something that not to many people know about here at the wall.

I'll try the other site and see if they know anything about them.Thanks for all the help.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    It's a tangential air separator with a dirt strainer...

You are also NOT pumping away from the PONPC, and that is why you have air in your system.

IF THE EXPANSION TANK IS CONNECTED TO THE BOILER, AND THE PUMPS WERE MOVED TO THE SUPPLY SO THAT THYE WERE PUMPING AWAY FROM THE PONPC AND THE BOILER, YOUR AIR PROBLEMS WILL GO AWAY.

I assume you have the old ceiling hung non captive expansion tank.

Sorry for yelling.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• don_205
    Thanks Dan

That looks like the one.

Mark.Please explain to me why the tank being tied in at the supply manifold and the zone circ pumping into the boiler is not consider the ponpc.

I know by not having the pump on the supply that it will not
    add the pump differential to the loop.

If you look at Dans book pumping away on page 46 even he says to moved the tank to the supply when the circ are pumping into the boiler.

And yes, it still has the non captive expansion tank.

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.