Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CO testing

Get in touch with Jim Davis I am sure he has some info for you. I have tested my pellet stove but have not done a wood burner in years.

Comments

• CO testing of wood exhaust

how difficult? would like detailed procedure as to what length of time testing should be done considering burning phases of wood. suggestions as to instrumentation & costs & gueestimate as to how much it might cost to have a pro do it & certify results.
    THANXXX
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578

You are correct when saying there are stages of burning. Initial kindling and starting will be in the thousands of parts per million, while a hot fire, depending on how the air is controlled can be between 50ppm and 1000ppm. The lower the more complete the burn. As wood smolders, as it is going out, the CO spikes well into the thousands of ppm. Very important to keep room ventilated during this time.

Not sure there are many pros that would want to test or adjust because they just haven't done this. It still takes the same type tester to do wood as is does any fuel. Certainly not something a consumer would want to invest in. Might check and see if there is a NCI Certified CO Analyst in your area. They usually like challenges.

• curious as to what numbers u got from pellet stove & stovebrand...thanx
This discussion has been closed.