Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Where can we buy new radiatiors

Jim_64
Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
Hello I have a small crack on the bottom of my cast iron baseboard. They are weil mclain snug cast iron baseboard is there any way to fix them or is it a lost cause. I tried to cold weld it but i can get it to stop. any input would be helpful thanks

Comments

• Chris Krecidlo
    Chris Krecidlo Member Posts: 4
    Where to buy new cast iron radiators?

We’re in the process of designing a new heating system for a building at a university. For aesthetic reasons, we need to keep the radiation. The radiators are currently 2 pipe steam. The powers that be have mandated that the new system be hot water. I believe circulating water through these radiators is not a good idea. I think there may be scale, cracks etc in them….
    Does anyone know of a place where we can purchase new free standing cast iron radiation? We need to maintain similar size, some of these are large 100 Sq Ft EDR
    Thanks for the help
    Chris
  • kpc_70
    kpc_70 Member Posts: 18
    Any supply

house worth its salt will have cast iron rads. I would look at your local stae craigslist or ebay... there are usually some there. kpc
  • where are you ?

Where are you located? If in Chicagoland, Control'd Engineering can make any sizes radiators you need.
  • Chris Krecidlo

The project is in Clinton NY, (Central NY). We could have them shipped no problem. We need about 30 of these radiators.

Thanks!
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,143
    dianorm or buderus

I would hope that they are not going to reuse the existing steam supplies and returns ? if complete new system piping and all are going in why not check out european stlye panel rads i would believe that they would be alot cheaper then standard CI rads and most are set up with by pass valves and avaiable with thermosataic raditor valves and are easly installed using 1/2 copper or pex .good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• Chris Krecidlo

Thanks I'll check out dianorm or buderus.

Totally new system, no reusing of old pipes etc., however, the building is historical, it has to look exactly as it did when the contractor is done... That's why I cant spec modern looking radiators or baseboard etc.

I can't go to ebay either, I am the mechaincal engineer for this project, I have to have a set of documents for contractors to bid on... I can't tell the bidders to go check e-bay for radiators.

Again, thanks for the replies!
    Chris
  • Chris Krecidlo

Found what I was looking for:

http://www.governaleindustries.com

Thanks!
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    Burnham

makes cast iron radiators too.
    http://www.burnham.com/radiant_products.htm
  • Bob_121
    Bob_121 Member Posts: 22

i have this radiator that looks like this:
    http://www.burnham.com/slenderized_radiators.htm

the picture shows the vent tapping on the top opposite the supply valve.

the attached pdf shows two tappings. Dan's book recommends air vent to be toward middle opposite of supply, what is the used of top vent tapping?

• Looks like Governale is reselling the Burnham radiators without the Burnham name. The product photos are identical.
  • John@Reliable_17
    John@Reliable_17 Member Posts: 4
    Looks like Governale is reselling the Burnham radiators?

They are! Check out "Burnham Holdings" to see who else they own
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    sizing rads.

hot water radiation for same area will be larger than steam.
  • scott markle_2
    scott markle_2 Member Posts: 611

I suspect Burnham may be the only foundry left in the us making cast iron radiators.

There are chinese cast iron rads. out there that are much cheeper, New iron radiation is expensive!
  • Weil Mclain

Weil Mclain stills make cast iron baseboards
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    BASE HIT

TRY A CAN OF HERCULES " BASE HIT ." YOU COULD GET LUCKY.
This discussion has been closed.