Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

STEAM PICK-UP FACTOR

bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
sizing steam boiler for three storey house. what would additional piping pick-up factor be for existing dual 1 1/2 " steam mains totaling 50 ' each { 100 ' total } as opposed to one 50 ' conventional 2 " main. also an addional 100 ' of 1 1/4 " riser. { also dual risers } thanks, frank & gordo & any other of our experts who can help me solve this issue.

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    As long as they're insulated properly

and not oversized for the load, which I doubt they are from what you tell me, just use the 33% factor that's already built into the ratings. No further allowance is needed.

If this is not the case, use Dan's method of converting EDR to BTU/hour, adding 50% to it, then selecting the boiler from the DOE rating rather than the Net one.

But I've never had to do it that way... yet.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Other results

We just did installed a steamer , the EDR worked our to 400k. The range of the burner 250k to 400k . Just for fun , we set the burner (gas) for 250k. The system worked perfect.It was a Broomell system . Shakes the EDR theory a little. The house next door is 2000 EDR and I'm doing an estimate now .I'll try to get a 2 stage boiler (any suggestion). This system has a Hoffman Differential Loop .I always cover the EDR ,but if I can do a lower fired I love it .
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

thanks much , frank & jim
  • I'd take a look at the Slant Fin Intrepid with a mod burner

tied into a modulating theromostat or outdoor reset of pressure. Or maybe try out the Weisaupt burner in this size range.

I'll be posting the start up results in a day or two with an Intrepid with a Powerflame X4M HTD burner. 400,000 max input to 35,000 minimum modulation for a 10.2 to 1 downturn and fully UL Listed.

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.