Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

decommissioning HVAC ducting in old house

Is the ductwork being run up through a closet, or are there individual duct runs coming up in the walls?

Comments

• Pete_44
    Pete_44 Member Posts: 1
    decommissioning old HVAC duct in older house

Recently did an expansion on a 60+ year old house, which resulted in the addition of a new HVAC system in the attic in support of the second floor. This made the duct work from the basement unnecessary and hence the intention of disconnecting as removing would require major surgery. What issues and specific steps should be taken to insure decommissioning is done correclty and safely. Primary concern involves fire code and chimney effect of abandoned duct??
  • don_205
    don_205 Member Posts: 66
    i would

I would think that should have been done with the install of the new system.Maybe I should not include this in my proposal untill after the fact.Hmmmmm!

You just remove all the ducts and block any holes where the duct went thru the floors or ceiling.

Sometime depending on floor covering we will seal off the grills and put them back down in the floor after the duct as been removed.Lots of time for the ceiling boots we either try to reused the existing hole or, we will call in the sheetrock/plaster guy and pass the cost to the customer.

Thats where I often lose the job.I should seperate it.I'm stuck on trunkey pricing.
This discussion has been closed.