Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Potable Hot Water Heater Recommendations?

Gman_3
Gman_3 Member Posts: 27
Henry, thanks for your feedback and sorry for the late response. The challenge I had with the Cyclone was that I think the warrantee was only 3 yrs or something short-term, maybe 5? A stainless steel tank with 15+ yr warrantee would be nice. I've found that manufacturers are really good a calculating when their products will fail (e.g. car batteries). Thanks again.

Comments

• Gman_3
    Recommended Hi Efficiency Potable Hot Water Gas Heaters

I'd be grateful for recommendations on hi efficiency potable gas hot water heaters with stainless steel tanks. While an indirect tank would be preferred, it will certainly cost more if I don't have another application for the boiler in the meantime. Thanks. Glennman
  • Gman_3
    Recommended Hi Efficiency Potable Hot Water Gas Heaters

I'd be grateful for recommendations on hi efficiency potable gas hot water heaters with stainless steel tanks for residential use. While an indirect tank would be preferred, it will certainly cost more if I don't have another application for the boiler in the meantime. Thanks. Glennman
  • kpc_70
    kpc_70 Member Posts: 18
    need more info.

what is the demand? # of baths... people? Tubs? Showers? big demands?...kpc
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998

AO Smith Cyclone come in a number of configurations. We started to use them in the winter of 2007. They are vastly superior to the Bradford/White (very troublesome!) and the Rheem/Rudd condensing hot water tanks. The Bradfords here, have an assortment of problems including blocked flue passages with condensation internal of the tank! Meanwhile of all the Cyclones installed we had only one call back and that was dues to getting bodyshop particles in the air intake. The air intake was relocated and no rpoblems for more than a year.

To give an example on how efficient the Cyclone is: We had a car dealer that used two 76/360,000 atmopspheric tanks. It was just before Xmas and we shut down by law for two weeks. So, we could only instal one BTH 300. They never ran out of hot water with the single tank. Previously n occaision they would run out with the two atmospheric!

• jimscout
    jimscout Member Posts: 11
    Potable water tanks

Alot of people are going with Heat Transfer's Phoenix style of W.H./highly adaptable and unfortunately replacing the boiler in alot of cases. You can also add Solar etc.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,500
    At least one...

...Cyclone is glass lined rather than stainless. That really is not a problem if you change anodes as needed, which should be roughly every three years but can vary a bunch. If you do that maintenance, the heater will have a chance at a very long life.

Yours, larry
This discussion has been closed.