Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water loss -- Peerless EC ECT 6

Steve_55
Steve_55 Member Posts: 30
Is anyone aware of a rough range of expected water loss for a Peerless EC ECT 6 per cycle?

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    If

it's filling on every cycle, you have a MAJOR leak somewhere. Find it and fix it before all that fresh water eats up your boiler.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steve_55
    Steve_55 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks ....

Steamhead,

Thanks -- the new unit seems to be going through 4 units (4 gallons?) per cycle based on the VXT 120 meter reading. Most of all of the systems piping is visable, so very confused as to where all this water might be going.

The system (vacum vapor) has 27 radiators; might it be a little here/little there, or a more major leak in the 5% or so of piping that is not visible.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,143
    flood the boiler

Remove the top of the boiler jacket and flood the steam chest of the boiler not your piping and check for leaks also check your chimmey when the boiler is firing you may have a steam side leak on your boiler and it's just going up your chimmey you'll see some white smoke also check to see if the cast pins have broken of the boiler they can be seen after the flue collector top is removed .I have recently ran into a few that where leaking from the top and did have a few pins that seemed to have snapped or popped off maybe from scale build up on the water side but this may be a local thing due to high level of chlorides in the water supply peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• Dick Charland
    Dick Charland Member Posts: 178

Steve, the first question I have is how old is the boiler?
    Is this a new problem? You can flood the unit as described to check to see if the block has deteriorated so badly that it is pushing steam up the chimney. That situation is usually a result of oxygen corrosion. If that checks out and the block is tight, you have a leak in the system, at the rate of 4 gpm/cycle, I'd look for a serious leak on the supply, cracked pipe fitting etc. or a leak in the return, any wet returns in the floor?

I had a similar situation 2 years ago with an ECT-05, going through so much water, the VXT would lock out and the gallons fed were so high (over 999) that the display then flashes and this was the second feeder. End result they found a wet return in floor they didn't realize they had completely rotted. I also had one 2 months ago, VXT #s were high, went around system and found radiator section with split in it.

If you check the VXT instructions, they have some numbers on what kind of water usage you should see on a monthly basis with a tight system, over 185,000 BTU 15 gallons per month. Those number are a little high but they give you some idea.

If I can be of any help, I work for the Peerless rep in New England, let me know.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    That's way too much

Time to have a pro look at it. Click Resources above, then Find a Professional and follow the directions.

Also see **** Charland's post below.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.