Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PLEASE READ THIS (Dan H.)

of posts will go back into the 1990s ? I'd love to see some of my own from way back when . Will the pics be in there too ?

I can't wait to see the new look of the site , Dan . Time to add some bricks into The Wall :)

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    In a few weeks,

we'll be launching the new HeatingHelp.com site. The new Wall will be different from the one we use now. Invision has collected all the threads from the beginning up until a week ago. As you can imagine, this file is HUGE. The new site will have these threads in a searchable archive, but we won't be able to add anything to any of them. The threads that are taking place between now and when the new site launches won't be archived. Sorry about that gap but we can't avoid it because of the size of files Invision and the new company need to transfer.

Any bookmarks (the red dots you put next to threads) you have will NOT carry over onto the new site. The threads will be archived on the new site, and they will be searchable, but you're not going to see them as bookmarks as you do now. If you want to keep these, I suggest you archive them now on your computer, or just make a note of the titles of your bookmarked threads by taking a screen shot of the current Wall and saving that on your PC. You'll be able to search for those threads by keyword on the new site.

Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    thanks for the heads-up

another site that i frequent had a similar issue with older posts, but they were simply deleted
  • DanHolohan
    That would have saved us

thousands of dollars, but I thought our visitors might want to get at all that knowledge down the road.
    Retired and loving it.
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

Dan, is there a way to verify poster's info to make sure valid email so that the fakers have to at least give valid email and it might cut down on fradualent posts by people fiding under a fake name to further their cause?

Lee Morano
    3 Lees' home Improvements
    Owner
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,399
    NO NOT THAT!!!!!!

We must be able to hijack posts and have some fun. Please don't take that from us.

The hundreds and thousands thank you
  • DanHolohan
    Yes,

it's going to be quite different, and I think much better.
    Retired and loving it.
  • lee_7

Ok thank you. Can't wait to see new Wall
  • bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241

Thanks for the heads up, Dan. Can you post another notice one or two days before the big day so we can save anything important to us that's in the gap?
  • DanHolohan
    Most of the pics

we had to dump as the years went by because we were crowding the server at Invision, so those won't be coming along. With the new site, we'll be the only one on the server so the site is going to run faster and have an unlimited amount of space for storage.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Yes, and I'll mention it more than once.

Retired and loving it.
  • scott markle_2
    scott markle_2 Member Posts: 611
    Attachments?

I'v noticed that attachments are not included in the archived posts.

Thats a shame because some of the best information is often in the form of a document or photograph, it's often the starting point for an really good thread. I realize that this occupies some storage space but in many cases it's crucial to the integrity of the thread.

Seems like text would be a relatively small file. The New Oxford American Dictionary on my computer occupies only 127 MB. So 100 dictionaries of text would be less than 13 gigs.

I hope the new site will archive attachments.

Are bricks really necessary? I'm guessing that this site drives enough traffic to do quite well with add revenue, perhaps I'm mistaken.
  • DanHolohan
    Scott,

the bricks are a small way for friends to help out. No obligation. Some folks give; others just take. I'm very used to that.
    Retired and loving it.
  • JohnNY3
    JohnNY3 Member Posts: 10
    Can't wait.

It'll stop the Trolls.

Like me.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Also

Scott and others, not all contributions to the site are financial. Much of what you find in the Library and some of the Hot Tech Topics, among other things, were contributed by those who use the site. Where else can we find something like this?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • scott markle_2

Dan,

That hurt.

Thanks for all you do in support of the free dissemination of information.

I guess I just assumed that things were good as far as revenue, and was wondering to what extent the brick concept was necessary at this point in the evolution of your site.

Again thanks for what you do, I did not mean to be unappreciative.

• Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,399
    You guys can see

Who does ALL the taking here and who does all the giving here. Someone is a millionaire who lives on Long Island 11 months a year and 1 month in Maui while us ham and eggers bust our butts for table scraps. Longshanks Holohan!!! That's who, they may take our lives - but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!

"Excellent post" steven says

"Thanks" says Wallace
  • lee_7

Go away
  • DanHolohan
    Such hatred.

Used to you as well. Not the first. Won't be the last.
    Retired and loving it.
  • John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 358
    Obviously .........

Some of us have forgotten where this all started and whose rollercoaster we are riding.

Thanks Dan
    John

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • scott markle_2

Placed a brick to take a stand against the disrespect and support the new site.
    Am I mistaken about attachments?
    I recall looking at some threads from way back that were missing attachments, however I just went back to see if some of those great pictures of Dan Foleys recent solar job were still around, and they were.

• D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,872
    saving threads

Just because I value the knowledge on many of these threads, I was thinking of a way for Wallies to save those threads from around 2/21 through around the end of March--since that interim is when he can't archive anything. Everyday about 10-20 oldest threads at the bottom are retired. Perhaps there's way for some of us to open those up on their last day and save them as pdfs and then later get them to Dan.

Probably too late to get the ones that went off in the last week --except by subject, since there's no 'search by date' feature. but maybe from now til April?

David

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    That

is totally uncalled for. If you don't like the site, you don't have to visit it.

• DanHolohan
    The attachments

that we had to purge over the years were photos. We shared a server with others at Invision and the photos took up a massive amount of storage. This site, and the other sites on that server, were in danger of crashing the whole works. This happened several times each year and it was always a panic call to me from the Invision people. The only option was to dump photos, and we did this from the oldest posts. We paid for this each time they had to do it. What's left is what's you see now when you search. The archives go back many years and the file is very, very large.

As I said, storage won't be an issue with the new site. We'll have our own server and the software will be up to date. Marianne and I are doing the best we can for everyone, and as I said, support of this site is purely voluntary. Thanks for your understanding and for the help.
    Retired and loving it.
  • John Fernandez_2
    John Fernandez_2 Member Posts: 40
    New and Improved !

Dan,
    I am looking forward to the newer version of the Wall. I am the owner of a plumbing-heating company in southern Colorado and have the title of Master Plumber. As far as the heating portion of my company, I know I will never be a master as the methods and materials seem to change almost daily, just when I think I've got all my bases covered, I get hit with a curve ball. Thanks to the Wall and the many knowledgeable contributors, my job is alot easier. Thank you Dan Holohan, Dead Men and all the Wetheads. John Fernandez
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Dan thanks for the heads up and look forward to the new wall. I like the fact I learn something new here and have some of my old ideas tested or supported here. I think the wall lets us tradespeople who are doing things to the best of our knowledge the right way are not alone in the world. While we have our own methods the wall does acknowledge when right is right.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

Table scraps? Not sure what you are selling (or NOT selling) but I make a heck of a lot more than table scraps! Get a life. Dan has earned every penny through generosity & knowledge sharing. We should all be so involved.

Thanks for then new site Dan, hope it keeps these trolls off.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
This discussion has been closed.