Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

brutal condensate from 90% furn

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
Got the job to replace all the copper drain lines ran to 5 furnaces with PVC and to neutralize the condensate. All appliances drain in copper now, and I replaced the section shown to stop the flooding of the mech room floor. How does one size a home-made neutralizer for 5 150K furnaces and 2 high eff water heaters? Currently all condensate drains into cast iron (new CI with black coating) drains under the slab, then to a giant sewage pump which sends it to the main drain line along the ceiling. No telling what this condensate did to the CI drains, house is 20 yrs old.

Thanks! Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,143
    seperate neutralizers

Hey Tim How about using smaller neutralizer for each unit and have them gravity into say a 2 pvc drain line .this way each neutralizer discharge could be checked for ph instead of just having one main NT with one discharge and it would give you a better idea of which units condense more and which smaller neutralizer needed to be serviced more often ,just a thought peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• Timco

Well, I was thinking that way, but the furnaces and other appliances to neutralize are all over the room, and drain into one drain. No guess what that drain line looks like being CI and 10 years of nasty condensate later. I need a large enough neutralizer to do all these appliances. I highly doube anyone after me will check & maintain 6 or 7 units, let alone 1. I would like to have one neutralizer and one pump to minimize maintinance. Does anyone have a comment on how this condensate would affect the black coated newer CI pipes?

Tim
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,402
    That's cool

How long did that take to occur? what was the rest of the job like? You wonder since they used copper on acidic waste!!!! mad dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Timco

everything on this job is the highest quality...that's why the copper for drains. they thought they were providing the best quality, but had no idea about the acidic condensate. house was finished in 1991, worth several million. not too often the cheapest product (pvc) is easier to install and the better choice.

Tim
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    black coated ci

sounds like you're describing ductile iron pipe which is typically concrete lined, and frequently used for process chemical piping. and i'd bet these people could give you some advice; http://www.dipra.org/pdf/ddm.pdf
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Schier Products.com

Schier Products has different sized neutralizing basins for all applictions. I have used them for years for chemical waste systems for schools etc. They are located right here in the Milwaukee area.

Rich
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998

Condensate has similar acidity to lemon juice. It attacks copper with vigor! It will not harm c.i. drainnage pipes. For our large installations 1million plus, we use our own nutriliser as we have found that the manufacturer supplied kits often block! We use a 8 quart Rubber Maid or Tupperware container with cover, filled with marble stone (terrazzo). We will run all the condensate lines into this container. We install a bukhead fitting several inches from the bottom of the container. We will then run a nylon hose into an open drain. It works like a charm and no callbacks!
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

How about a nice sewage ejector barrel? I would say with the right set up yould have a nice clean system. I tend to use the drum trap set up with the marble chips. The new plastic grease traps may work also.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    henry

do you need to refresh/change/how often the marble?
  • Kirk_4
    Kirk_4 Member Posts: 4
    NT20 condensate neutralization tank

This may be what your looking for.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Marbles

When the marbles are gone, you replace the marbles.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    In other words

When you have lost your marbles replace. We always use limestone chips, which are readily available around here.
  • Where

Do you get the limestone chips, I seem to have trouble finding them around here.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

Lowes and Home depot have them in their garden section. Usually oitside with mulch, comes in a 25 pound bag. White marble rocks for garden paths or a replacement for mulch.
  • I have seen the white marble

But I didn't see limestone written anywhere on the bag. Are you sure they are lime?

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.