Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Korean boiler?

Ron Gillen
Ron Gillen Member Posts: 124
www.quietside.com a division of Samsung. HQ- Sante Fe Spring, California. Max flue temp. 136F PVC venting, 90% efficient, so it has to be condensing. Distributed throughout North America.

Comments

• Gasper
    Gasper Member Posts: 148
    Korean Boiler

Is there a Korean-made condensing boiler? Does anyone know the name, the brand, any other helpful information. Thanks so much.
  • Darrell_8
    Darrell_8 Member Posts: 8

Yup...it is called Quietside. You can get either gas or oil...

Do your homework.
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    Don't think it's condensing

You might want to look at Toyotomi's OM-180. Again, not condensing, but I don't think you want those problems.
  • Gasper
    KOREAN CONDENSING BOILER

I've heard they're not approved.....have you heard this? and...........is that the ONLY Korean made condensing boiler? Appreciate the response.
  • Phil Burkhart
    Phil Burkhart Member Posts: 6
    Korean Boiler

Saturn, made by the Navien Co.
  • Gasper
    Quietside..............Darrell

Thanks to all for responses. One question for Darrell. Is "Do your homework" a suggestion, an order, or what? Just kind of short and abrupt..........
    Thank You
  • Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    Toyotomi is Made In Japan

It is oil fired and not condensing. Toyotomi products are very miserly when it comes to fuel usage.
  • Darrell_8

Just an experienced suggestion...ask the questions, get some opinions...you may, (probably will), decide on another brand. Don't mean to sound snotty...still abit sore from the spanking I got for having the timerity to start the efficiency vs. economy thread...some folks have no sense of humor, and apparently think that honest questions and real life information ought not be in the public domain...

The gas quietsides that I see in this area have an apparent service life of less than 5 years. The oil quietsides do not have the safeties that we are accustomed to in America...and tend to explode from time to time.

Let the spanking begin...again.
  • Darrell_8

Yes , it is. Makes a mess everywhere cuz the little plastic catcher cracks.
  • Gasper
    Spanking

Yea you did sound a bit like my wife......I should be used to it by now! I've heard of the Quiteside before, and no it doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I'll keep looking for QUALITY at the best price I can find. Thanks Again
  • Steven Eayrs
    Steven Eayrs Member Posts: 33
    Darrel.....

If your the same Darrel I know, then we can both agree one huge problem with the Quietsides in our area is the supplier. Zero parts stocked for replacement. Zero boiler knowledge about boiler in general or how they can be supplied.
    Also....condensing should not be applied to (oil fired)boilers that have zero control stratigy. Simply a little slide you move up and down, marked summer on one end and winter on the other? No external heat demand? Honest, not one place to override this little disaster.
    On the bright side, its a good thing it doesn't condense or its 5 year life would be drastically shortened.
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    kyung-dong

kyung-dong makes the navien and the buderus gb 142 heat exchanger.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Darrell_8

I am him...

I'm to the point of turning down calls to work on them even though Quietside fronted me a full line of parts for free. Too much iability and too tough o satisfy.

I need to talk to you about buderus sometime...

Keep making the high marks in Homer.
  • GREG LAUER
    GREG LAUER Member Posts: 103
    quiteside

kyung-dong is like the 3rd largest boiler manufacturer in the world. gas units we have had little trouble with. oil burners were a nightmare at first but they shipped there r and d people over here to Carlise,PA since it was to expensive to ship another 50,000 gal of U.S #2 over there. Korean oil is better refind than ours so they made alot of changes and I think they have it much better now. Do not use the Domestic water heater as they do though. they are happy to hit a swich or button and get 2 min of hot water. you need to use a buffer tank or flat plate for the domestic. never had any blow up yet that new to me. we were on of the first to install one in our area and were at ground zero when the problems started. kero alwasy ran ok in them. We did have a problem that could have led to a blow up now that I think about it. The boss has one in his house and the blower would not start every time and the oil just kept pumping til the cad stopped it and if I remember correct it did not have a hard lock out right away.
  • Darrell_8

That is correct...lots off oil, no blower, ignition not interlocked with blower, no cad cell to lock it out... I have found places with 8 of 13 baffels blown out and into the cap on the exhaust. I spent time looking for the elbow off the flue and found it buried in the sheetrock ceiling. I have seen the unit moved nearly a foot by the impact of firing. They are unsafe.

Very efficient though!
  • Steven Eayrs
    Darrell

Would like to find out more about where you got the quietside parts. For free?!? Can't be from the lumber supply store these are all sold at! I don't think they have a single part in stock.
    You must be working on a lot of them to get a response.
  • Darrell_4
    Darrell_4 Member Posts: 79
    Quietside Parts

Check your email, Steve.

I do see a fair few of them... mostly to recommend immediate replacement.
  • Harry_11
    Harry_11 Member Posts: 1
    Saturn Diesel boilers

Sounds like you guys don't know what a proper boiler/burner is all about. In New Zealand we use the Kyung Dong Boiler but instead of it being known as the "Quietside" as you have it in the States we get it as the "Saturn" boiler as it is supplied to Europe where it has gone through extensive testing and approvals in Germany so it can be sold extensively in The European Market. Seems to me that the problems you are having are trying to supply and install a sophisticated boiler system in the same manner that you have been installing your basic systems for years. Have been installing these boilers for 5 years now without any problems. Understand them first, and think about the technology that they have built into them, and then you won't have to replace them. P.S. they do a condensing version for diesel oil that is almost as efficient as their condensing gas boilers.

• Correction KD (Kyung Dong) does not make the Quietside Unit, that is a Samsung product. KD does market the Saturn in Korea and other countries.

Harry makes a good point, the US in general, has difficulties with installations as we tend to apply everything high temp, excessive flow and on/off operation
  • Steve Eayrs_2
    Steve Eayrs_2 Member Posts: 56
    But the Quietside is..........

Not at all like you assume Harry. I do know the difference between this bad boiler, and others that are actually designed and engineered. Most of what we install are made in Germany.
    But...These are not and the essence of junk.
  • Darrell_4

All the understanding in the world will not make the plastic fittings stop cracking, the o-rings quit leaking, the computer function reliably, the condensate stop leaking, the threads stop pulling, the air intake stop dumping frost on the computer, the ignition stop cracking, the gas valve stop creeping, the thermistors measure properly and the flow switch sense flow.

All the understanding in the world will not make the oil boiler safe to put in the barn, much less the house.

Yes, the vast majority of them in this area are installed incorrectly...usually by homeowners that think they can 'cuz they got an oilfield job once. But, that does not excuse the poor quality and safety hazards.

• Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    Korean Quality

I have noticed with Korean products that they often do not get it right from the start but they keep on getting it better until they get it right. I am thinking about Hyundai which was not that great a car at the start of their US introduction but the new Hyundai Genesis is the 2009 car of the year. Darrell, since you are on good relations with the company maybe it would help if you explained all your concerns to them. I am thinking that they would be thankful for your input. I know Samsung makes great TV sets and I am convinced you would be a great asset to them.
  • Steven Eayrs
    No local stock

Won't answer Darrell's question for him, but another reason I would never consider installing, or servicing this boiler is lack of support, of any kind, in this area. The ones who brought this boiler into this area, is a lumber supply store, and has zero support of it, as far as parts, or any real experience in selling hydronic anything. When I first saw them showing up around here, this same supplier would send out the "whole package", for say a radiant floor system, which included heat manifolds that were actually designed for use in domestic water systems. (you all know the ones, plastic manifolds, little red and blue plastic ball valves). Could go on about the rest of the package, but same all the way thru.
    Darrell is closer to this supplier. I'm about 80 miles from them, and I believe the next closest support or stock of any kind on these things may be Seattle? Darrell may know for sure. Thats about 3000 air miles away?
    My opinion. This is not a redeemable product, and even if it was, let someone closer be the R&D, like maybe someone in Korea.
  • Darrell_4

Yeah! What Steve said! I'll only add that I am told that the Company is not going to continue to make parts available here in the US. The Rep's are in Southern California and Somewhere on the East Coast. They have been good to deal with all things considered.

One thing more...the supplier, as Steve said, sold a package including a heat loss that was woefully undersized. Lots of calls to cold houses.

It is frustrating to be the R+D department for companies, be they foreign or domestic, and t really leaves a bad taste in customers mouths when we have to keep going back with serial upgrades. One popular boiler here is five years on the market and into series 6! Come on...get it right at the factory.
This discussion has been closed.