Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How To Add Low Pressure Gauge to Boiler (Picture Incl)

FJL
FJL Member Posts: 354
Picture of the controls for my boiler is attached. Where could I attach it given how my controls are attached. Looks like there is a plug on the tee to which the vaporstat is attached. Do you remove that and add piping sufficient to support the gauge with a pigtail? Could I do this myself, or should I get a professional to do it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Yes,

add-it where you remove the plug, use a nipple and a 90(or another T with plug for cleaning), to bring it up to the height of the other controls.
    You wont need a pigtail on this as the water-trap(pigtail), is included in this configuration.

Dave
  • That is an \"interesting\"

swing joint configuration on your sight glass. Why was that done?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Hey Gordo,

It makes the glass higher,, you know,,, in case its surging LOL!

Dave
  • FJL
    I have no idea

I never noticed. What difference can it make?
  • FJL
    Could I also Remove the Pressuretrol?

Is the pressuretrol doing anything if the vaporstat is working? Could I just remove the pressuretrol and add the gauge there? Or is there some reason for the pressuretrol to be attached as well?
  • The pressuretrol

is your high-limit controller(for safety), leave it be and add your gauge to this assembly.

Dave
  • FJL

Understood. Thanks.
  • Joking aside,

sometimes Gordo & I joke around :)
    I have no idea why your installer did that. Steam boiler water-lines are dictated by the manufacturer, and besides, this will not change that unless the actual controllers are moved.
    The fact remains though, the glass should be mounted directly in the tappings dedicated for them.

Dave
  • FJL
    Is It Accurate?

I understood you guys were having fun there. Even with the swing joints, does the gauge show the true water line inside the boiler?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    The swing joint...

eliminates the need for a glass cutter :-)

Now, who would want to spend 30 $ for a glass cutter when it can be done with 20$ worth of brass fittings?

You buy a glass cutter once. You buy these elbows, with profit on EVERY boiler job. Make$ perfect $en$se to me :-)

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Yes, it will be the same although the lower level will be more difficult to ascertain if it is crucial to you.
    Again, if the water-level was set properly to boiler specs, offsetting the glass would be needless.
    Makes me wonder though!

Dave
  • Again,,

the ALMIGHTY EATHERTON speaks!
    He is NEVER wrong!
    Someday(hopefully), I`ll be as smart as he thinks he is.

Dave
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

I cut my last sight glass with a copper tubing cutter in very small increments. Worked fine...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • BAB
    BAB Member Posts: 118

Close examination of the picture shows the gauge & electrical wiring too close to the upper sight glass fitting. To mount the sight glass in a convential fashion there must have been a slight physical interfence. An interference fit. Any experienced pipe fitter could have used a small grinder here or there or slightly bent the right sight glass protective rod to make it work. The sight glass is a very important working device on the boiler & should have been afforded top priority. The expensive brass 90 degree elbows are much to do about nothing, will not change anything technically but will always remain an eye sore & distraction. BAB
  • To get around that

I'd use short brass nipples and couplings, mounting the glass out from the boiler a bit. This would eliminate the elbows and allow you to clean them out with a straight rod if needed.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Dave....

Can you see the smiley faces? I was kidding, but you obviously are not.

And again, I don't know what I did to offend you, but what ever it was, sorry.

So, why do YOU think they put a swing joint on their sight gage?

Sorry I commented on a thread you commented on. I didn't realize it was YOUR property...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.