Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solar Panel information?

Options
hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
That looks a bit like the old Copper Cricket system.

Try Tom Lane at tom@ecs-solar.com He has a good book out on solar "Lessons Learned from 1977 to Today"

Best price is at Siggy site ww.hydronicpros.com

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Alfred J. Kauth
    Alfred J. Kauth Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Solar Panel information?

Hello,

I own two solar panels,The manufacturer of these panels is Dell Solar Industries, Inc. from New Rochelle NY

My question is,I have found that these solar panels are charged with a refrigerant and somehow connected to a 2inch common header that the water flows past to heat the water.
    I have sent John Siegenthaler these pictures and the same question...Would any one have some information on these solar panels? their origin or maybe know someone who has seen a similar type of solar panel that is charged with a refrigerant gas?
    I am very interested in adding these two panels along with a means of solar storage, to help reduce oil usage and possibly heat my hot water,3 teenage daughters!,

Thanks for any input to this topic,
    Fred Kauth
    Easton, PA. 18045
  • Alfred J. Kauth
    Alfred J. Kauth Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Solar panel

copper cricket??
  • Ron Huber
    Ron Huber Member Posts: 121
    Options
    freon solar

There where two types of freon systems in the 70's and early 80's, most where compressor driven, the one I installed was a passive system that had no pumps or controls but the tank had to be installed above the top of the panels. I believe the Dell was one of the compressor driven systems and both required silver brazed joints. Is this system dismantled? The Cricket used a methol alchohol solution (Like the Viessmann/Thermomax evacuated tubes solution). Looks pretty beat.All of these systems used conventional flat plate collectors, so as long as they do not leak they may have some mileage left in them. Antifreezed systems that stagnated with a little glycol are the panels that are most likey to have developed corrosion, the water/glycol gases that where produced from the underpessurized systems did the most damage over time.
This discussion has been closed.