Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Keeping steam-need h/w boiler as well

Options
with a completely separate system, I'd put in separate metering too. That way you wouldn't have to pay to run it.

Is there a reason the main system couldn't be used, with TRVs added? It just sounds to me like you're planning to do a lot, with little ROI.....

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Glen_5
    Glen_5 Member Posts: 21
    Options

After a post on this forum a while back where I was considering chucking my steam system, many responses convinced me to keep it, so I am. However, I have a separate apartment area which I want to rent, which will have an air handler for the a/c with a hot water coil for heating. I want to be able to completely have this as a separate zone, and the radiators in there now don't do the job. Since I'm installing ducting for central a/c anyway, it seems like a better solution. I will also want to install radiant in two bathroom floors in the future, and my current h/w heater won't last much longer so I thought if I was getting a separate h/w boiler, it could handle all of the above including a high efficiency indirect h/w tank. My thinking was that when any of the above call for heat, it would be a lot cheaper than having the steam boiler which is sized for the 9,500 sq/ft house kicking on just to make hot water. Does this arrangement make sense to you pros? I just want to be able to get apples to apples estimates and know what I should be looking for. The current h/w tank holds 100 gallons and I guess I would replace it with the same. That gun currently has a 2gph nozzle on it. Thanks.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Did you want the apartment

to be separately metered? If so, the boiler for that zone couldn't run the indirect for your part of the house. However, some indirects can be used with steam boilers. If you wait a bit, Burnham's soon-to-launch Mega-Steamer boiler will come with proper indirect tappings to greatly ease installation, and I believe Burnham's indirects can be used with steamers.

When you say the existing rads won't do the job, do you mean they won't properly heat the apartment? If they do properly heat the apartment, and it won't be separately metered, thermostatic radiator valves should work. In that case, use a mini-duct or mini-split system for A/C, these don't require bulky ducts.

If you do use hydro-air in a separately metered apartment, try one of the newer, smaller condensing boilers that also have tappings for indirects, and a separate small indirect for the apartment. Be sure to do a proper heat-loss on that area so you don't buy too much boiler.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Glen_5
    Options

Steamhead,

Apartment doesn't need a separate meter. I just wanted it to be completely independent of the main home. Running ducts isn't a problem as I am going to gut the space to insulate, etc.
  • Glen_5
    Options

My deal with the tenant would be that utilites are included so I don't want to go the extra meter route. Also, in effect then the tenant would also be paying for my hot water and radiant heat zones. I thought that using the main system to create hot water for both the tank, one air handler and two small radiant zones would be a waste. The boiler is sized to create steam for a 9,500 sq/ft house and would kick on all summer just to make water. It seems inefficient to me and thats the reason for the original post. Also, if we are away as we travel quite a bit, the tenant can keep their space comfortable while we dial down the t-stat on the main space.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    In that case

it would work to your advantage. But since you're paying to run it, I'd use baseboard or panel radiators instead of hydro-air with standard ducts, since the former will give better winter comfort at lower temperatures and that will save energy. Couple that with a mini-duct or mini-split A/C system and you'll have a real nice apartment which will bring in a decent rent.

Since you're gutting the space, you'll have plenty of room to put pipes and mini-ducts.

And whatever you do, don't trash the old Vapor radiators!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.