Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

log cabin heating options

Options
I recently bought a small log cabin in Northern Minnesota. The electrical is original cloth covered wiring, so we will be rewiring the cabin.

The problem is this...because of the log construction, we are considering plastic wire moulding to carry the wires around the cabin's interior floorboard level. We are also, considering adding supplimental heating with baseboard heating in each room. The questions revolve around specificlly how close the two can be placed to each other to avoid melting, etc. We're open to suggestions if anyone has idea regarding other heating/moulding options

Comments

• kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    in most...

cases baseboard heat is only run @ 180F....unless you are making direct contact w/ the pipe w/ the wire you will be all set...kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • its the mice !

Its the mice that some are woorried about, they chew on the insulations, which is why the conduits are the prefered way to install electric in sparly(sp) used cabin. Where's this cabin located? I will be going in Isabella area cabin without electric, using wood burning stove to keep warm in sept.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,317
    Options
    One of the factors...

...in sizing wiring is its ability to dissipate heat. Wires in conduit do not have the same current carrying ability "ampacity" that the same wire in free air has. Putting wiring in a hot space might limit what power you can safely draw, or you might consider sizing it one size bigger. I'd show this thread to your electrician ;~) Can the wiring be run anywhere else where mice and heat cannot get to it?

Yours, Larry
This discussion has been closed.