Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Raupanel Install

Note that an isolation membrane is required. Here's a link to a <A href=http://www.rehau-na.com/construction/>Kerdi Product</A> that has a very good reputation among tilers.

Comments

• Jason Quinn
    Jason Quinn Member Posts: 96

Is it ok to thinset and tile directly over a Raupanel installation, or is wonderboard- another subfloor required on top of it?
  • Tim_33
    Tim_33 Member Posts: 83
    You can

apply thinset directly over the RauPanel assenblies. On their website http://www.rehau-na.com/construction/
    you can look at the installation guide, something that you should do regardless.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Better check with the tilesetter

and the tile manufacture. I'm not sure either would allow tile to be installed without backerboard or mudset.

Same for the membrane to allow movement without cracking.

Check with the online tile association websites, they usually have standards and installation requirements.

Not the type of job you want to do twice :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

• I talked to a backerboard company recently that indicated that since thinset is a concrete product, it will attack and degrade aluminum over time.

I can't confirm or deny that myself at the moment, maybe someone else can..?
  • stephen_4
    stephen_4 Member Posts: 22

use 1/4" wonderboard directly over the panels. screw through the panels down to the subfloor in a 6" pattern. easy to do, all you will ever need.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Tim: I'd check that guide again. I for one do not see "thinset directly over the RauPanel assemblies".

"cement or mortar compound w/mesh or rubber membrane" [emphasis added]

I can nearly guarantee rapid failure if you directly apply ceramic tile to an aluminum/wood composite substrate via thinset.

An isolation membrane like Kerdi (previously link provided) will be both thin and effective. When properly applied and detailed note that it is also provides water resistance to the degree than it can be used in wet areas like showers.

If 1/4" - 1/2" of added height is no problem, I'd HIGHLY suggest "backer board" or cement board respectively. Will however be difficult to achieve the level of water resistance afforded by Kerdi in this application.
  • Kevin__Flynn
    Kevin__Flynn Member Posts: 74
    Yes, 1/4\" cement board...

I always strongly suggest a wonderboard over any panel in a tile application. The main reason I suggest it is because some day the homeowner will decide that the tile is outdated and should be changed. If it is installed directly over the RAUPANEL you will have at the very least, one heck of a mess. Another reason is, if there is also some raidant in the house under hardwood, having the cement board under the tile usually helps to maintain consistent floor heights.

Kevin Flynn
    Kevin Flynn
  • TLynch
    TLynch Member Posts: 19

Just a DIYer here. Schluter makes the Kerdi product, which is used for waterproofing, such as in building showers, etc. They also make Ditra, which is an isolation membrane/decoupler which is used instead of the cement backer board. It's a thicker and has a waffle pattern to it. The decoupling is particularly good in radiant situations, where floor movement might otherwise crack your tile/grout. I used it to lay tile over advantech plywood and am using the Kerdi in a shower build. (I installed underfloor radiant w/ Thermofin C plates).

The thing is, both products are bonded to the subfloor with unmodified thinset mortar, so the question of whether this would be a good thing on the aluminum Raupanel is still unanswered. At least by me.
  • Stephen_6
    Stephen_6 Member Posts: 3

T Lynch over any panel system you should first put down an underlayment then thinset and tile. If it is a water proofing situation same process just over the underlayment use the water proofing system of your choice.

Regardless of which route you go the Raupanel is defininately the best panel system available.
  • TLynch
    TLynch Member Posts: 19

When you say underlayment, you mean plywood? It certainly makes sense to me that you would put down plywood, then your decoupling membrane, then tile. Although I suppose you've added a little R value w/ the plywood.

But it doesn't clear up the diagram in the installation guide that Mike T. linked to -- "cement or mortar compound w/mesh or rubber membrane." I didn't see anything in your attachment that addressed it.

Is Rehau saying to just lay a rubber membrane down over the aluminum, then put thinset and tile on top of it? Any idea what "mesh" might be?

I like Rehau's products and may use Raupanel someday, so it would be good to know how to plan for tile.
This discussion has been closed.