Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

asbestos removal formalities

D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,777
for removal of asbestos on old dhw tank, hx and 10ft of piping I have had various kinds of methods proposed from asbestos removal licensed contractors:
1-most thorough: boiler off, set up tents/negative pressure, remove asbestos, boiler remains off, keep tents and neg pressure up until air test by other licensed company around 4 hrs later, then all clear. I assume job is filed. Customer receives documentation from removal and air test companies. manifest available from carting co. weeks later.

2-job not filed, but done with proper tenting/neg. pressure, not necessarily kept up until air test. job probably not filed, materials combined with other jobs and disposed of legally.

Is filing the job a legal requirement? I know in Nassau County homeowners are legally allowed to remove --not dump--asbestos from their premises. (I'd never want to do that.)

Tho we know the 1956 piping has asbestos, we don't know for sure if the mid 1960s gauze covered add-on indirect tank and HX have asbestos underneath, but to have it tested would likely cost nearly as much as the removal--more if the test was positive and we than had to remove it.
This discussion has been closed.