Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

asbestos removal formalities

D107D107 Posts: 1,539Member
for removal of asbestos on old dhw tank, hx and 10ft of piping I have had various kinds of methods proposed from asbestos removal licensed contractors:
1-most thorough: boiler off, set up tents/negative pressure, remove asbestos, boiler remains off, keep tents and neg pressure up until air test by other licensed company around 4 hrs later, then all clear. I assume job is filed. Customer receives documentation from removal and air test companies. manifest available from carting co. weeks later.

2-job not filed, but done with proper tenting/neg. pressure, not necessarily kept up until air test. job probably not filed, materials combined with other jobs and disposed of legally.

Is filing the job a legal requirement? I know in Nassau County homeowners are legally allowed to remove --not dump--asbestos from their premises. (I'd never want to do that.)

Tho we know the 1956 piping has asbestos, we don't know for sure if the mid 1960s gauze covered add-on indirect tank and HX have asbestos underneath, but to have it tested would likely cost nearly as much as the removal--more if the test was positive and we than had to remove it.
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!