Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Expected Life of a Utica Starfire Steam Boiler (1962)

A 1962 Utica was made in, well, Utica, NY. What is the unit firing at for efficiency numbers and does it show its age with leaks and rust? Be careful as a new boiler put in wrong will be worse than the one you have now. Proceed with caution.
Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating

Comments

• Ed_67
    Ed_67 Member Posts: 3
    Life of a 1962 Utica Starfire Steam Boiler

Was wondering what is the expected life of a Utica steam boiler installed around 1962? Systems has been maintained yearly and the boiler is drained of sendiment each summer.
    Runs great. What is the expected average life. This boiler also provides grandma's hot water. All replies are appreciated. Thank you, Ed
  • Sissy
    Sissy Member Posts: 31

Ed, you are well past the average life expectancy of the boiler. If it is running with no problems and you don't mind the efficiency then you don't have to change it. I'm sure a new unit would decrease fuel costs considerably- do you have gas or oil?
  • Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    It Depends

There are 100 year old steam boilers in good condition and there are 5 year old steam boilers that need to be replaced. There are three important points. First is initial quality of the boiler. Second is correct installation according to the manufacturer's installation manual. Third is proper maintenance by a well trained maintainer. Since your grandma's boiler is 47 years old she is doing something right. You might look and see if there is a tag on the boiler that indicates the efficiency. You did not say if it is an oil or gas boiler. If the boiler has no leaks and is reliable I would leave it in place. Grandma usually knows best.
  • Le John
    Le John Member Posts: 234

A great example of the pride and workmanship that went into this boiler as it's still working 47 years later. I wonder where the boiler was made?
  • Utica Boilers

Are a great Boiler. They still make them the old school way. I see very few leakers on Utica Boilers, whether it is 20, 30, or 47 years old. The best thing about an old steam boiler is that it seems a lot more of them were put in correctly back then. It could last another 20 years. Another good reason to Buy American! How big is your house and what is your biggest fuel bill, and is it gas or oil?

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Ed_67
    Older Utica Steamer

This boiler is 78.5% efficient, it runs all year long and is cleaned and maintained every year. Replaced stack relay with New Primary Cad cell. Yearly oil bill around $1,500. for a 900 sq ft house. Remember grandma likes it a tad warmer for a 90 year old. Installed new Gordons on system and all radiator. Added a zone last year that works like the Dead men designed, thanks to Dan's book. Hope to keep the system for awhile. Thanks to all the wallies. Great way to keep the dead men alive...Thanks again. Ed
  • Also

if ye olde Starfire still has its original burner, it might be worth upgrading to a flame-retention type (and a new chamber if necessary). This would guarantee a fuel savings of at least 10%. A more common savings figure with this upgrade is 15-20%, and the newer burner would not generate any smoke or soot if set up properly.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ed_67
    Old Utica Starfire

Thanks Steamhead:
    Good suggestion regarding the the new chamber. Noticed some deterioration on the chamber. Good summer job. Had a new becket 10 years ago, replaced pressuretrol and spin type filter. Any savings installing a vaporstat on this small system? Thanks for the guidance and advice.
  • Steamhead

Do you think it would be worth it to install an outdoor reset on an oil burner? Also on an earlier post regarding crooked threads do you think it is alright to install 45's as a swing joint to straighten the riser? The Utica comes off the sides.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Probably

the benefits of ODR aren't limited to one fuel.

On the Utica PEG steamer, the 45s would work OK. But to me, that's yet another reason to use a different model. Check out the Slant/Fin Intrepid with power gas burner. Also the Smith G-8, once they finish moving their foundry operations.

• steve_196
    steve_196 Member Posts: 33
    Utica PEG

Nobody has mentioned that these castings are drilled on a machinewhich does not allow these openings to be cut crooked. All foundry operations would be very similar to this.
  • I like the Vaporstat

but you'll want to include a gauge that will read the lower pressures too. You can really fine-tune a boiler and system with this setup.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    long life

is the "running all year long" the reason for this long life? or maybe the yearly sediment draining is the secret.

if the same life span could be had for my boiler, i won't have to worry until 2055 when i am 110!-nbc
This discussion has been closed.