Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Im stumped!!!

One pipe steam system, with new boiler--old one burnt up due to malfunctioning lwco. Everything is installed as it is supposed to be. I have 2 steam mains--1 heats fine--no problem--the other heats the 1st 3 radiator on the run, but not the last three--at the same time water is being forced out of the boiler into the return. I was there 1 hour ago--took off main vent, and had water coming out for a moment. I have the big book (just to get that out of the way) Im stumped!!!! If more info is neccesary just ask.

Comments

• Kool Rod
    Kool Rod Member Posts: 175

If you could post some pictures of your boiler piping/ returns that might be of help.

- Rod
  • What is

your working pressure at your pressuretrol? Are the main vents working properly? Have you checked the radiator vents for proper operation?
  • tciviletto
    tciviletto Member Posts: 5

I will get pic's on Satruday and post.--have checked rad vents--all good.
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    schmutz, most likely

Schmutz (a boiler related technical term; you can look it up) is layered like an oil on the water line of your new boiler. New boilers have to be cleaned and so does the new piping. Pipe threading compound, cutting oils and others from the manufacturing process immediately contaminate the water, allowing the boiler to heave its water out through the steam pipe.

A heaving boiler is obviously an unhappy one, let alone what the piping and radiators think of this indignity. Your bloated boiler is also capable of holding the water far back in the return system since the hartford loop connection has been left exposed to live steam and wants to stay that way. Only after the fire has stopped does the water come rushing back, often times with hammering at the hartford loop.

If there were a gate valve in the return approaching the loop and a substantial drain valve before it, you could literally boil out the schmutz. When the water wants to heave out, it takes the schmutz with it and makes its way to the drain, each time the water line becoming more stable.

Or just follow the instructions in the boiler installation manual (the document of last resort?).

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• A terrible name........

Schmutz, but I used to call my daughter that when she was young because she loved getting dirty. Now, at 28 she prefers her real name.
  • tciviletto
    tciviletto Member Posts: 5

OK--when i go to get the pics tommorow i will skim the boiler...Again, good thing i put that valve in there. Is that what all that paper is that comes with the boiler????A manual!!!!
  • kevin_60
    kevin_60 Member Posts: 38

skim boiler. I add tsp or washing soda to boiler then skim. When done skimming drain boiler and returns a couple of times to remove any leftover tsp or washing soda.
This discussion has been closed.