Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant over concrete and under laminate flooring

Chris S
Chris S Member Posts: 177
I looked at a job last year that had a pergo type floor installed over radiant. If I remember correctly it was running around 150, and the floor was ruined. You could see each line under the floor.

The high temperatures were a result of bad (no ) design, insulation details in the home, and a contractor who never returned to balance things. I'm not sure what temperature ruined the floor, do some serious research. The job I looked at looked as if a lower temperature, longer cycle might have heated the space just as well.

Comments

• Mike Dunn
    Mike Dunn Member Posts: 189
    I have a client

who wants to install radiant of the basement floor and install laminate flooring over it.

Any wallies done something similiar to this?

If so what are some recommendations for applying the radiant to the floor or do you use the combo wood/aluminum plate panels?
  • Best way

We used to use Stadler Climate Panel and then went to Uponor Quik Trak:

http://lnk.nu/uponor-usa.com/t3h.aspx

Read over their instructions for your particular application; they may want some plywood between the concrete and the Quik Trak.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,832
    Also look at

The Roth panel system. It is foam product with aluminum over the entire surface. Foam adhesive will fasten it to the concrete if it is clean.

The 2X4 foot panels are grooved for the pex to snap in.

Use PAP tube for less expansion and contraction.

Then float the flooring over the panels.

www.roth-usa.com/usa/Pradiant-c.html

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Why mess with the floor??

If you're looking for simple radiant comfort, look up...

Here's the ceiling of the kitchen/dining room at Hydronicahh.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Dave Holdorf_2
    Dave Holdorf_2 Member Posts: 30
    Basement subfloor

I've used this before and works great, along with the Quik-Trak

http://www.dricore.com/en/eIndex.aspx
  • Mike Dunn
    Mike Dunn Member Posts: 189
    hot rod

do you have experience with laminate flooring over these roth panels? Are there additional steps in the installion of the flooring over the panels.

Also, what about water temps
  • or insulated the

Floor and use wood over it.. Use cast iron baseboard radiators
  • Dave Larsen_11
    Dave Larsen_11 Member Posts: 39
    Why lose the headroom?

Install Viega's climate panel on the lower half of the basement walls. Assembled Climate panel is 42" wide. cover it, put a trim over the top edge....presto! Looks like a chair runner.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,832
    the system

I did had 3/4" nail down WALNUT! flooring attached. It was cut and milled at the owners farm in Arkansas. The Roth Panel was glued and stapled over a wood framed floor so nail down was possible.

I like the Roth over concrete (glue down) as it gives you some r-value and a bit of softness to the floor. The foam/ aluminum is very easy to router custom grooves into, also.

For flooring options contact www.launenstein.com They have a lot of info about flooring over radiant, especially floating floors. Junkers is another top of the line floating hardwood product.

Walls and ceilings are a good option, but from my experience warm floors to heat a space are still the very best. Installation challanges would be the reason to look at those other options.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.