Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to abuse a copper boiler

scene in my area too Dave. The rollout gets so bad it snuffs the pilot!<BR>Had one, the flame-rod kept shutting the unit down every 10 seconds, I refused to repair it until the HX was at least cleaned, I show and explain why this happens but still they won`t spend the $$$ to properly re-pipe.<BR>Long story short, the gas co. guy changed the rod & left the rest, made me look like a money grubber, oh well I`m still glad I walked.<BR><BR>Oil fired units are a <i>real treat</i> to clean.<BR><BR>Dave

Comments

• Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766

This boiler was saved from certain permature failure. The homeowner was lucky. I have seem many of these that could not be saved.

Dirty burners from remodel dust. Vented directly into a brick chimney. Piped directly into a high mass cast iron system with not boiler protection. Boiler over sized.

We corrected all but the last one and hope for the best.

Dave Stroman

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• S Ebels_2
    S Ebels_2 Member Posts: 74
    Had one like that this summer

Big ole' Lochinvar direct fired water heating system in a car wash. No bypass, water temp set at 110* and it would literally rain on the burners when lit. Had cleaned it several times before and each time warned the owner that it would definitely fail due to condensation related problems. i heard through the grapevine from a friend at the gas utility that they were called to trace a gas leak by a homeowner several doors down from the car wash a couple years ago. They found that the "gas leak" was unburned fuel exiting the chimney of the car wash.

The beast finally failed in a big way and i gave them a price on replacing it with a condensing Lochinvar Armor water heating boiler. Perfect application for a condensing boiler. No dice....tooooooo expensive. They went with the low bid which was the same setup they had before. I guess some people can't see the forest because the trees are in the way. The beggars still haven't paid me for re routing the 2" copper water line around the boiler so they could keep the car wash open until the new equipment was installed.
This discussion has been closed.