Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett Fuel pump

Options
Jeremy
Jeremy Member Posts: 52
Had a call a few winters ago with same situation as you. Assuming this is a single pipe feed, check to see if the bypass plug is in. I used a rebuild SH pump and it had a bypass plug installed. Burner ran very slowly and never did fire. It amazes me I didnt blow the seal on the pump but I didnt. Probably not your problem but it may be worth checking. Good luck

Comments

• Misterplumber
    Misterplumber Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Beckett Fuel Pump

I am having a reoccuring problem with this particular customer that has a modern Beckett AFG on a Burnham boiler.

Initially on the first no heat call the motor wasn't strong enough to turn the fuel pump and had a bound sound to it when it was turned on (This burner wasn't serviced for 2 years so I replaced the nozzle/filter, and cleaned it out).
    After servicing I removed the motor from the pump and tested the motor, the motor ran ok off the pump but a little wobbley. I then changed the fuel pump thinking it was the problem because it was turning hard, it fired fine with a new one and lasted for a week.

Today I got a call back, on the same problem, so I replaced the motor, coupler, and the fuel pump again (the fuel pump would not turn and didn't feel right when it was disconnected).

After doing this I got another no heat and it was bound Again, (2nd replacement fuel pump). I have been using rebuilt Cleancut Beckett fuel pumps because no one locally seems to have this fuel pump new.

It is currently running but may become bound again. There is nothing that I can see that would cause this. The fan cage is free from touching the sides.

The only other thing that is suspect is the customer said his brother added oil from another tank that someone was getting rid of.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

T.I.A.

• Sissy
    Sissy Member Posts: 31
    Options

sounds like water to me, check with paste. Also haven't seen but have heard that diesel (ULSD) is doing the same thing to pumps?
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    BOUND

OK when you say bound are you turning the pump by hand or is the motor not turning? I get the couplers pre-cut and had a few that were too big had to take a little off the top or the pump would not turn.
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315
    Options

We had one lately, a Riello, that kept binding up the pump. Finally figured out someone dumped something in the tank. May have been motor oil with fine metal shavings in it. Had to flush the tank out twice before the problem went away.
  • Misterplumber
    Misterplumber Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Bound

The motor will occasionally stop at a point where it will not be able to turn the fuel pump and makes a bound noise. If I pull the motor off the fuel pump the motor will run fine. I replaced the fuel pump twice and the motor once.
    Also when I turn the fuel pump it is turning what seems to be tighter then normal. I know fuel pumps turn tight anyway.

The new coupler was pre cut, seemed ok not touching anything.
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315
    Options

I think what burnerman meant was that that the coupling could be just a bit too long, even though it's pre-cut. When the motor mounting bolts are tightened up, everything gets tight as the coupling is wedged between the pump and motor.
  • Darrell_4
    Darrell_4 Member Posts: 79
    Options

The Ultra Low Sulphur Fuel Oil has little to no lubrisity in it...they claim to have fixed it. Most oil delivery outfits here have been delivering Jet-A which seems to do better. I too have had to replace two week old pumps for no apparent reason and am wondering if there was a bad run.
  • tom_49
    tom_49 Member Posts: 269
    Options

Did you check the filter?

what is the vacuum reading at pump?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • steevoca
    steevoca Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Pump problems

I would say your dealer who is rebuilding the pumps are not putting new rotor roller crescents in the pump and only cleaning the pump screens. this is bad and a cheap way to do things. I know through experience that those suntec pumps are pretty tough and takes allot to bind them up. I would try a new pump or purchase your rebuild elsewhere.

Steevo.....Canada Tech
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    That's all

Jeremy was just giving a heads up that a pump can come set for 2 stage. Worth checkin first. Thanks Jeremy. I have used Sids for decades, haven't got one like that yet, but never know. I have recently gone back to remans due to the high failure rate of the new pumps. 
This discussion has been closed.