Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old trade tools,,

bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
I have a few old gasoline torchs . one a otto bernz w/ original label mint. also otto bernz catalog 40 or 50's vintage lots of goodies & plumbers specialties

Comments

• Well here`s

the thread,, let`s see what you can come-up with.

How many of us still have a few of these kicking around?
    Remember the naptha or "white-gas" days?

Dave
  • more than a few!

Last month, I was hired to be on stand-by in a municipal water co during a cone-valve replacement in case any of the 16" diameter lead joints started leaking. Took me a few hours to round up the lead pots, burners, tools, oakum, joint runner and my 'old' tools(G).

The lead pigs stacked up in the warehouse were ones I'd poured back in 1971 as an apprentice! Whenever we were slow, it was the apprentice's job to gather up the lead lines we'd removed, cut off the wipe joints & recycle by melting & pouring pigs.

I think we have at least one of each of those models and a double-headed model with long extension arms.
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    I have

a 32A and a 144A on permanent display in my shop. I think my dad still has his tinners pot somewhere.
  • ah yes.

Got the old gasoline torch still, but not a lead pot. Got me a whole mess of caulking tools and a few ladles. From my dad. Got me an Oster 999. Remember those babies. Heaver than a dead preacher..... but you cant stop that motor.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    We

Had all of the above...still have dad's/my leadworking tools.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,931
    Three Generations

My Grand Dad was a Boiler builder and My Dad went into the Oil Trade were I had followed 35 years ago. I have tools holding doors open that I only could guess what they were used for. Old controls and parts are another story. I still have series 10 controls in their boxes. Plus a jar of mercury I can't get rid of ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• A few more,,,

then I`ll get to the boiler tools section of this old book. ;)

C`mon guys,, scan a few for nostalgia, perhaps we`ll show these newcomers the way it used to be done! ;)

Dave
  • bigugh_4
    bigugh_4 Member Posts: 406
    Now if you could just get

The smell of those tools and the old oakum bucket on-line We'd really have a thing going. and the smell of recovering the lead from those old pipes, with the gas tourch. and the pulsating roar of the firepots. Days do pass by!
This discussion has been closed.