Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Optimizing a 2 Pipe System

Hi, everyone. Through your recommendations, I have Clammy helping me optimize a 2 pipe system for a commercial building.

He's been great. But, I feel bad pestering him with questions and I am hoping that you guys can also give your opinions.

First, the controls for the heat timer. There is an outdoor sensor and an indoor sensor that attaches to one of the return lines.

I noticed that if I set the controls for the maximum heat cycle, it cycles off after about 22 minutes. If i set it to the minimum, it cycles off after about 5 minutes. I had assumed that each setting (A,B,C...K) represents 5 minutes. If I set it to K, then the boiler should be going at 60 minutes.

My questions:

Is the control faulty?
How long is a typical heating cycle?

Comments

• First of all,

the old heat-timers come in 30 minute or 60 minute models, so it depends on which one you have. You can have a 30 minute or 60 minute heating cycle. Secondly the length of the cycle depends on the outside temperature. For example, if you have a 30 minute cycle model and set it to G, at 10F you will have a 23 minute cycle, while if the outside temp goes up to 45F the cycle time will reduce to 16 minutes.

In a 30 minute cycle model, each higher letter setting increases the cycle time by 2 minutes. There are charts of the timing cycles in the attached manual:
  • Property Manager
    Property Manager Member Posts: 13

Thanks for the help.

My timer is from

American Steam Timer Corporation (212-597-1103)
    1525 Blontell Avenue
    Bronx, NY 10461

Model SteaMiser ST-100

I had just assumed if I set it to the farthest setting, the boiler would max out the cycle to 60 minutes. I'll fiddle around with it and tell you what I find out.
This discussion has been closed.