Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Macon TRVs???

are my "default" choice. I like their compactness and installation features.

For example, their HW valves use an Allen wrench (12MM I believe but check first) to install them, rather than a spud wrench. This makes them very easy to install when radiators are in place and you do not have swing space for the spud wrench and pipe wrench. Simple and elegant.

The chrome finish is very hard and takes abuse. (I had a mishap when the nut wrench slipped and would have gouged lesser material, barely a scratch.)

As for the steam ones, (OPSK), very compact and the vacuum breakers work very well.

As for price, I have shopped around and these are not pricey at all in my experience. Quite competitive at the retail level with other makes.

As for the remote heads, well, one has to make a neat job of it. The Macon capillary tubing is finer than others I have seen. (H-B brand is like a pencil lead for example; Macon is like thin yarn or thick thread). You have to secure them more often, sure.

But the remote heads I use from Macon can have the dial and sensor together or the dial in one place and the bulb in another location. Very adaptable.

I have used Honeywell-Braukman, Centra, Tour and Andersson, Danfoss, Oventrop and Macon in all applications. All are good, I just prefer the Macon style and finish, the price is reasonable, quality excellent and the service I get from Tunstall is superb. The OPSK vacuum breaker is a simple spring above the valve body so it does not get wetted or stay wet unlike others.

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

Has anyone used these? A apartment manager I am working for says he can get a good price on units for the entire building, but I have never used them. Any good?

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • wsdave
    wsdave Member Posts: 97
    TRV

I have three installed on my one pipe system located on bedroom radiators.
    They work great!

HTH

Dave
  • FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    If It is Allowed On This Site . . .

can you say what the price is b/c I had a hard time finding a place that sells them on line and the one site I found had them selling at what I thought was a high price.
  • Timco

He did not say price, just asked if I liked them. Told him I would do some research. I have only ever used Danfoss and of course have never had a problem with them. I think the ones he is looking at all tie together with a t-stat and a plug in controller, but then you have the wires along the baseboard, which looks terrible. Thanks for the input,

Tim
  • Kool Rod
    Kool Rod Member Posts: 175

I have 4 of Macon TRVs and they work great. I haven't had any problems with them - very well built nickel-plated brass. One of the main things I selected them for was the vacuum breaker as I thought it was less likely to get plugged up than the Danfoss though I also have Danfoss TRVs and they work fine too. Here's the Macon site info:

http://www.maconcontrols.com/opsk1204.html

Look on the accessories pages for remotes etc. I don't want to mention pricing other than to say make sure you check on them so you don't get an unpleasant surprise. My only other thought is the Danfoss looks more "modern" from an aesthetics point of view.

Edit: Frank - Sorry didn't mean to cause a confusion on this. The Danfoss Model: RA 2000 1PS, has a built in vacuum breaker. I just thought the Macon vacuum breaker less likely to clog up. It's located above the inlet whereas the Danfoss breaker is internal and the passageway/ball valve is located below the inlet. However, I've had both types for several years and both perform fine.

- Rod
  • FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    Vacuum Breaker

Don't the Danfoss TRVs have a vacuum breaker also?
  • bb_10
    bb_10 Member Posts: 29
    TRVs

Danfoss does have a vacuum breaker in their 1 Pipe Steam TRVs.

If you look at the quality of the Danfoss compared to the other TRVs on he market you will see that Danfoss is by far the best out there. There built in operators have a vapor charge which stays consistent over the years. They are bullet proof and I am sure you will not have any problems with them.

Bb

• Timco

Thank you for the input, gentlemen. I am not soo concerned when a cust wants to try one new product, but on a 30+ unit building, it needs to be reliable. Thanks for the thoughts, looks like I will recommend them.

Tim
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,405
    Noel Murdough turned me on to Tunstall & Macon

Excellent value and unbelievble service...ask for Woody at Tunstall. Mad Dog 413-594-8695

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.