Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can solar be connected to existing indirect?

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,833
but a separate solar tank, upstream of the indirect may be a better option. Depending on how many panels you are planning, and you location, figure 1.5 to 2 gallons of storage per square foot of panel.

Ideally you want to present to the solar the coldest possible water when the sun comes up. This will maximize to efficiency of the panel. With the dual tanks you have the best option to present a "cold" load to the solar and take advantage of that solar $ investment.

I agree that is some nice piping work!

hr
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• Nelson_4
    Nelson_4 Member Posts: 38

Hi, I'm a Boston homeowner with a 40 gallon indirect connected to a Burnham MegaSteam. (see photo) I have a south-facing sunroom that could support solar panels easily on the roof. Most of our hot water requirements, laundry, dishwashing, showers, are during the day. I was wondering the feasibility of somehow using solar to supplement the MegaSteam, and still use the existing indirect. Is it even possible to do something like this?
  • kpc_52
    kpc_52 Member Posts: 22
    sure...

just have the solar loop go thtough its HX and preheat the water to the indirect.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    Who

installed that Megasteam?Very nice job!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    Nice job

Yes and I think Hot Rod is right about a better way to maximize the solar contribution.
  • Nelson_4
    Nelson_4 Member Posts: 38

The install was done by Norm Harvey (recommended by Brad White). He did a fantastic job of sizing the boiler and the install is impeccable. The MegaSteam is great...we used 40% less oil this year!
    The goal of solar is to use even less, especially in summer...there are some pretty inexpensive solar options. Are there any "packages" you can recommend?
This discussion has been closed.