Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

stuck 4 way mixing valve

Trouble shooting a system with a 4 way Esbe valve and actuator motor that won't turn. It has a Tekmar 363 control, not the problem. The actuator motor just hums and will not turn whether power is put to open or close. It will turn manually, however not sure how much force should be required to turn it. It appears that it needs more than the motor can handle. The motor has been replaced 3 times(not by me) and after a short time it sticks again. System is 7 years old. Any ideas? How much force should be required to turn valve by hand?

Comments

• bb_10
    bb_10 Member Posts: 29
    Call Danfoss

Brent:

Call Danfoss for technical support for the ESBE vavle.

443-512-0266.

Tell them what size valve and motor you have.

Here's a link to the website.

http://na.heating.danfoss.com/xRangeA/0_MNU17421649_SIT209.html

good luck

bb
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Pull the stem out of valve and clean, grease with silicone greas

and put new o ring seal in it. It should move freely like a bath faucet handle.
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    H2 OHhhhhhh

Check the system fluid and or the PH or Minerals that may be the root of this premature failure's

Well water? none Oxygene barrier?
  • Bill_17
    Bill_17 Member Posts: 68

Brent, give us a call at 443.512.0266 to discuss the problem, we can be reached M-F between 8:30 AM and 5:00 PM Eastern.
  • Evil lution
    Evil lution Member Posts: 14
    Stray Voltage

I think the 363 is sending out stray voltages. Does the shaft of the mixing valve swing freely? Let’s hope so. I also suspect that the you didn't remove the ESBE motor from the mixing valve shaft to check that it swings freely. Curious to know.

• DennisBCG
    DennisBCG Member Posts: 1
    Same problem

I have been having the same problem, started with just a dead motor but now it does the same thing yours is doing. Talked with Tekmar 3 times and everytime they said it was the motor. Now after 5 motors it came to me what it might be, The Tekmar uses the open/close terminals as dry contacts. But anyone that has experience with electronics know that even with minumal voltage there is still heat transfer. Those contacts have a silver contact point on the tips and after awhile the silver can melt away eeither causing no contact or the contact to stick. I believe that it might be the case that the contact points are sticking and this will cause voltage across both open and close terminals at the same time burning out the motor. In my case the motors have been burning out quicker and quicker which tells me the points on the contacts are sticking more and more as they wear down. The problem is that the terminals will read the right voltage unless you happen to see it happen right at that point that you are there when it happens. Just my two cents worth but I have seen this happen before with larger contacts when I was an Electrian for a traveling Carnival, so I know it happens!
This discussion has been closed.