Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett AF-15 Dripping Oil

Kim_5
Kim_5 Member Posts: 3
2 years ago when I went to the .50 nozzle I had them
go over it and set the efficiency. I barely moved the air
adj. since then..Finances are tight so I am trying to do as much as I can...I used to work helping my BIL with his hvac business...We installed mostly gas units..

Comments

• Kim_5
    Dripping Beckett Burner

I was having an intermittent ignition problem and an oil odor with my Miller furnace..I figured since I was pulling the burner I would give it the works, nozzle, inline filter, new electrodes ect..I noticed it was wet with fuel inside and drips of oil at the bottom of the air box under the pump..I thought maybe it was the pump seal but it looked ok..I cleaned everything, replaced parts and it fired right up..Now it fires as soon as the pump starts or a second or two later..It has a good flame with just the
    tips visible above the chamber and a spot of smoke..I checked it the next day and noticed the odor again and a little oil at the air box again...It wasn't wet though like before when even the electrodes were wet..When I originally put it in it was set for 75k but would kick of high limit before the stat was done calling.. I fixed this by going to a .50x80 nozzle almost matching the original btu in..It was working great for about 2 years like this till it started working wacky this month..Only thing I figure was different was the tank was getting low so I threw about 12 gallon of kero in with the #2 oil till the oilman came the next week was..Thanks for any help...God Bless You...K
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,624

Hey Kim, do have some combustion readings? What was the draft over the fire and at the breech? When’s the last time this unit was fully torn down and serviced? I have a few thoughts of what’s causing the wet oil you’re seeing but more information would be helpful.

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Sissy
    Sissy Member Posts: 31

Kim, how is your oil flow? Also sounds as if you do not have a combustion analyzer(which would be best), when you look at the fire do you feel back pressure through the sight door? Oil filter? Not positive but I think Miller asks for a solid spray pattern nozzle. Is this in a mobile home?
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    nozzle line

I have in the past few years found sooo many that either a previous tech or homeowner over tightens. ( nozzle lines) Then check your flair? I read in a fuel oil mag. once try a tissue it will get a mist not seen by the naked eye and the squrriel cage sucks it in like a vac ?? (the oil not the tissue) try it my 2 cents
  • Kim_5

Oil flow seem good, if fires right up burns nice.. I have A2VA-7116 pump. I haven't pulled the filter and checked it for two years, guess I better..I feel the combustion fumes blowing out when I open the peep hole...Thanks for all the help here..Hate to bother my BIL..He had a problem with his own boiler around the same time..Yes it is a mobile home furnace CMF 80 PO..
  • Sissy
    Sissy Member Posts: 31

Kim, can't say for sure without seeing the furnace, but sounds like it has back pressure and needs a thorough cleaning. Also make sure the chimney is drafting properly back pressure alone is enough to cause your after drip.
This discussion has been closed.