Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Just got back from the UK, and was thinkin'

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b10096%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b10097%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b8960091%7d&fh_reftheme=promo_83953276%2cseeall%2c%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b10096%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b10097%7d&fh_refview=summary&ts=1234972406497

"i wonder how these would work with steam"? [especially the "big bamboo"-nbc

Comments

• Rich Davis_2
    Rich Davis_2 Member Posts: 117
    What ya think

Just got back from England, helped the daughter remodel her kitchen in her flat. Went to B&Q(Home Depot) many times for things needed to do the job. While there I was checking out the "central heating boilers" they sell about 4 different varites, Biasi,Baxi,Ravenfire(British) and an other. Most are condensing but they don't mention that they modulate. I tryed to ask somebody some techanical questions but, that was a waste fo time. So just ended reading the poster that was alongside the display. I was wondering if they would work over here. As they are pretty cheap $600 50Kbtuh to $1500 110K btuh. But one thinkg I did notice is there mentallity is repalce the every 5-8 years. That thread a while back got me thinking should I spend buckets of money for a boiler and have to replace it in a few years. Tehy control them different from what I could see. All the controls are on the boiler and each radiator has it's own TRV. I'm not sure how they are plumbed, I didn't see any circs, or any kind of 3-4way valves of pressure tanks. I also know nearly any house I was in the boiler is usually in the kitchen and there aren't pipes/manifolds running all over. I realize if I would get one from over there the electric is different I could step down the voltage but, would the cycles mess everything up. Just a thought! What ya think?
    Rich
  • Kritz_3
    Kritz_3 Member Posts: 85
    B & Q link

Cool store and good pricing, but the shipping might
    add up fast.
  • Rich Davis_2
    Rich Davis_2 Member Posts: 117
    Shipung

Shipping is no problem, I have an in with British Airways
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    I have spoke to some heating guys on a UK heating site

several times, that is what they said about the mentality there. I was discussing the TT Prestige boiler with them which is sold under the parent company ACV name there. They said no one will buy it as it is too expensive. They consider a boiler a disposable appliance just as you said. Throw away every 8 to 10 yrs. Hmmmm.
  • kpc_54
    kpc_54 Member Posts: 15
    it would probably...

work perfectly fine... but it does not have the approvals here in the US. God forbid there was ever a "issue" you could be wide open to a lawsuit.
    Part s could be an issue too...kpc
  • Kool Rod
    Kool Rod Member Posts: 175

NBC- I ran across these types before and was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately they are for hot water and I doubt they could be modified for steam.
    They are built to interact with and with steam's temperature you'd get burned too easily. They really show how far we are behind in this area. Makes us look like real barbarians!
    Here are the manufacturer's sites:

www.jaga.be

www.acova.co.uk

- Rod
  • Move...

This is where we should be moving. The price of a modulating/condensing boiler is much higher in the US because we don't produce/sell as many.

If the market was broader the cost of the Mod/Con could drop to well below that of even the cheapest 83%.

The mindset of keeping a boiler for 20 to 30 years makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

The improvements in technology and efficiencies year by year are substantial. If you can change your cast iron boiler and increase efficiency 25% to 40% now, then in 10 years increase another 10% for a boiler that should cost you much less in 10 years why not.

If boilers were set up primary/secondary the swap could be as simple as a water heater change out.

The upfront cost to convert the traditional cast iron system to a primary secondary will pay off in the future because you will be able to plug-n-play the replacement boiler into the system every 10 to 15 years.

Folks will buy a $30,000.00 car every 5 years and skimp on a boiler replacement. Does the new car still have an 8-track player? Does it still have the same 4brl carburetor? Is the new car going to get you payback for gas savings in its five year life?

A good part of the our indusry is still living in the stone age!!
  • kpc_54
    kpc_54 Member Posts: 15
    you are ...

preaching to the choir... The only way to get people to change it to hit them in the wallet w/ energy costs...better boilers , better insulated homes, smaller stuff period.... until we look at that the staus quo will still be the way of the country. It is up to us to edumacate them....kpc
  • Erik J. Hoffman
    Erik J. Hoffman Member Posts: 12
    Just like water heaters

They treat boilers just like they really are water heaters.

Check out the acvoa towel bar Atoll stainless steel the description says it is for use on domestic water? I thought the European's banned the use of open systems?
This discussion has been closed.