Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1 pipe steam & 2 questions

that way if there's a problem, it's on them.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Wayne Heid_2
    Wayne Heid_2 Member Posts: 22
    1 pipe steam & 2 questions

Good Morning.

I have a 1 pipe steam question and have 2 quick questions.

1)Is there a secondary limit control on the boiler in case the pressuretrol fails? I think my Honeywell non-mercury limit control is failing. It will trip on the set cut out, but wont shut the boiler down. You can hear the noise click, but wont shut the unit down. The pigtail is clean. Im just worried that the unit will continue to build pressure and something dangerous can happen. Is there a backstop for a faulty pressuretrol? I'm worried that someone will get hurt...

2)What are some causes on a banging radiator and or radiator supply pipe at the end of heating cycle? Radiator is pitched and I have no sound at start up or at middle of heating cycle.

Thank you very much for you insights and your time.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,284
    Bob,

In some cases, as in a multi-family or mixed-use building in NYC, you will have a redundant manual reset pressuretrol on the boiler.
    If you've got a second pressuretrol that doesn't seem to do anything, I'd bet it is wired into a Heat Timer or similar control to signal the presence of steam in the system.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Wayne Heid_2

what about for single family homes?

my main concern is that the boiler will keep running if the limit control wont shut it down.
    Is there an internal auto shut down after a certain psi has been reach?
    im very worried about the safety of my family members.
    please help.
  • No there isn't

and the best thing to do is call a pro. That control could be defective or mis-wired. Click on Resources at the top of this page, then Find a Professional and follow the instructions. If you're in the Baltimore area, contact us.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Wayne Heid_2

thanks steamhead!
    and what can the banging at the end of my heating cylce be attributed to?

• Wayne Heid_2

Thanks. This is where i find it out.

The manual states that the hartford loop should start 2" below the normal water line but Dan's book is calling for a lower installation of hartford loop...
  • Wayne Heid_2

Thanks. This is where i find it out.

The manual states that the hartford loop should start 2" below the normal water line but Dan's book is calling for a lower installation of hartford loop...
  • Kool Rod
    Kool Rod Member Posts: 175

Bob- While there is no backup mechanism for the pressuretrol, there are other ultimate safety mechanisms that will prevent something dangerous from happening. The pressure relief valve will open at 15 psi and release excess steam pressure from the boiler and the Low Water Cutoff will shut down the boiler if the water level gets to a dangerously low level. However you don't want to have to rely on them so if something isn't working properly on your steam system you should get it attended to right away.

Follow Steamhead's advice and get a steam pro to check it out. They will also check the other safety devices and overall operation of your system. A little preventive maintenance goes a long way to getting a good sleep at night!

- Rod
  • Wayne Heid_2

Thank you.
    Kool rod you are absolutely right. buti actually called up burnham and they indicated pressuretrol hardly ever goes bad.
    it cant be as simple as wiring could it be?

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Never say never. pressure trols can go bad and yes it could be wiring. get a pro to check it out Bob as saftey relief is your only protection if boiler over fires. lots of the system can be messed up before relief blows off.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Kool Rod
    Kool Rod Member Posts: 175

Bob - I'm a homeowner so have very limited experience with pressuretrols other than my own.

The wiring is very simple as the pressuretrol is just a switch in a line. If it had been working okay before and no one has touched the wiring since then I would tend to think the wiring was okay unless something is obviously loose.

As for Burnham comment on pressuretrols, I tend to think this maybe typical manufacturer "nothing ever goes wrong with our system!" kind of reply. From the past posts on this board there have been problems with pressurtrols especially at low steam pressures. This is why you get a steam pro to look at it for you. Having worked with many pressuretrols they have the experience and "feel" to know when one isn't working properly.

While on this subject if you are considering replacing the pressuretrol you might want to look into a vaporstat. These do the same function as a pressuretrol and while they tend to be a little higher priced than a pressuretrol, they do a much better job at low steam pressures.

Edit: Charley's right! I'd follow his advice! While the pressure relief valve can save you, the resulting overpressure (above 3 PSI) destroys main vents and the radiator vents among other things and the cost of replacing them can be much more than the pressuretrol.

- Rod
  • Wayne Heid_2

Thanks a lot gentlemen.
    I did play around with the pressuretrol this past weekend because i use that tapping to install a ball valve for skimming purposes.

i will double theck the pig tail and wiring.
    to keep my pressure low, i have removed the set back on my t-stat just so the unit wont build pressure...
  • Wayne Heid_2

Gents. i went home to check the pigtail again, and as suspected it was clean.

what i did was re-wire the pressuretrol so that the coloring matched the labeling on the face of the pressuretrol and it worked.
    it cutout on main setting of 2psi, but would cut back in too early. i know pressuretrols are known to be quirky at low pressure but as long as i dont have high pressure build up, its a win win.
    so im guessing the wiring does matter.
This discussion has been closed.