Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The best bang for the buck in condensing boilers?

Bob Bona_4
Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
(Andy Morgan, really,) did 24 Laars HT330's last year on a similar project. Each apt had a zone of bb, and the boiler made domestic internally. Seemed to work well.

Comments

• Gasper
    Gasper Member Posts: 148
    Best bang for the buck in condensing boilers?

I'm looking to bid a big job with several (over 50), hot water, condensing boilers. I'm trying to find a good overall choice. Owner will be looking HARD at price. Is there one out there that doesn't need primary secondary? I figure this should save price of one pump, fittings, and labor. Also I'm looking for domestic water options. Owner wants all seperate utilities for future tenants. Thank You All for any advice, words of wisdom, war stories, etc.
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    Do not

try to recreate the laws.

Mod/cons need pumps.
  • scott markle_2
    scott markle_2 Member Posts: 611

Triangle tube's prestige excellence comes to mind as a well priced unit with self contained DHW and suitability for direct connection. Not too many manufactures will give permission to non primary/secondary piping. Just talked to a friend who did some service work on a trinity boiler, apparently among other problems with the system, the existing 007 primary pump was deemed too small, the manufacturer told him to go to a 0011. I cant imagine a doing a residential heating job that "requires" almost 200 watts just to maintain required boiler flow rates! and then need another pump to get the heat out to the system!
  • Prestige does not need

to be piped primary secondary and it would be hard to find a nicer boiler at any price.
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    007 is

too small for NYT.

Read the O & I manuals.
  • scott markle_2

Pumps plural?

I have several successful mod-con's running on on a single circulator. Some of my best work is single pump. The more I look at it single zone single pump is the way to go.
  • scott markle_2

Just another giononie sp. HX If these things need to be pumped so heavily than I would not even consider them.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Patrick, the prestige would be a great choice I feel. Yes they

will be a bit more than some but not near the top in $$. The other thing I would tell the owner is maintenance will be a killer on a lot of the other modcon boilers out there x50. He really needs to look at this because any money he saved upfront he will eat up in maint. & repair. The TT solo boiler has been bullet proof for us. The only problem with the Excellence version of the prestige is it's size for a apt bldg. He may be better off with TT60 & a indirect tank but there goes the cost again. Good luck. Tim
  • Gasper

What boilers don't have the giononie?

Thanks
  • Ted_5
    Ted_5 Member Posts: 272
    Vitodens 100

has a Viessmann made heat exchanger and is priced very well. What size boilers do you need for this project?

Ted
  • Gasper
    Boiler sizes

Most of the condos are small one bedroom units.....600 sq ft to 1,000 sq ft max.
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    I agree.

What's the point when there are better options?
  • Pat Scantlebury
    Pat Scantlebury Member Posts: 1
    bang for buck

Another important question is what type of radiation. Cast iron mod con OK high temp baseboard you may not get efficiency you expect (boiler not in condensing mode) as well if the loads are small then the boiler will short cycle which kills efficiency. Another option is BTU metering for heat and domestic ( assumes home run supply return back to mechanical room) Alternatively, you can meter off big supply return mains. This is quite common in Europe.
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    If you don't mind

cast alum..Utica / Dunkirk.

No pri / sec, low press drop H.E. (less than 0.5 psi)
  • Josh M.
    Josh M. Member Posts: 359

Quit telling everyone about Traiangle Tube!!! I'm having a hard enough time with their delivery backlog.
  • boilerpro_4
    boilerpro_4 Member Posts: 12
    just my opinion

No boiler with a large delta T and the ability to expand like stainless or aluminum should be piped without primary secondary piping.
  • Leo G_103
    Leo G_103 Member Posts: 34
    I'd be looking

at the Bradford White Combi for a project like this Pat. I would think that it would match-up perfectly!

Leo G
  • Patrick_37
    Patrick_37 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the feedback all!

Thanks to all the posters! Info is all good. I'm still "mulling" since we have a couple of months to make a decision. I am leaning towards a combi unit. So far I'm mostly impressed with the Triangle Tube Excellence. Have to do some price shopping at the number of boilers we'll need.
This discussion has been closed.