Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Purging system

Hi Everyone,

Hope you can help. I have a quick question about the purging of air in a heating system. I have a boiler with two zones. One going to the basement and the other to the first floor. Let me describe the loop on the boiler as I see it:

On the supply side the pipe go to -> the scoop w/ the expansion -> to a spliter - "Y" shape pipe -> each end has a zone valve (old looking) -> to the respective zone. On the return side > each pipe go to it's own purge valve -> to it's own shut-off valve -> then they are joined with a "Y" shape pipe -> which go to the circular pump -> then to boiler.

Now, to my question: I'm trying to purge the system but the water does not seem to circulate?.

Here is what I do:

1. I close both shut-off valve
2. Attach a hose to the purge valve for the zone I want to purge and open it
3. I open the pressure valve to allow more/faster water
4. Look at the pressure gage to make sure it does not go to high. I let it go up to 30lb or a couple of lb extra.
5 But only a little water comes out and I see the pressure rising.

should I let the water pressure rise a little more? Or could there be something wrong? When I open the shut-off valve and let the boiler turn on I can hear the water circulate but I hear the water flowing sound. Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.