Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Some people you just can't please

Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,405
We fancy ourselves on being able to "SATISFY" anyone who is willing to pay a little more for a LOT more comfort and quality...and....99% of the time everyone is happy. However......don't forget the nuts and people who have ALL the time in the world to FIXATE on every lil' noise or bump in the night. Mad Dog

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=299&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Josh M.
    Josh M. Member Posts: 359

Had a customer recently hire us to install an RCC and an HRV. They ended up being pains in the butt, but we were able to please them none the less until today. The last straw came when they complained about the noise the HRV makes at night, to which we replied "well Mr. B, the HRV is still in the box, we haven't gotten to that point yet, but I would be happy to move it to another location if you think that would help."

True Story
  • Xc8p2dC
    Xc8p2dC Member Posts: 41
    Works both ways

Removed my post,

Too funny about moving the box though> LOL
  • Marc_21
    Marc_21 Member Posts: 6

I am confused? You purchased the WM 80 yourself and hired a contractor to install? If this is correct, then you get to deal with the warranty issues, claims and reimbursements. All you paid for was the labor for the installation. Most quality contractors wont go down the labor only path, they seem to end up a mess, kinda like yours has been.

Marc
  • glycol

You do know that a good glycol has what we call a reserve alkalinity! A ph of 8 to 9.5 in new glycol is a common reading and a good one. I think your boiler has an alum exchanger which will have very specific ph ratings though, so find that out. What can happen is if there is any copper pipe in the system and the ph isnt to the Ultra specs little pieces of copper can attach themself to the aluminum exchanger and eat through it (slowly). I don't know what the ph range is though if anybody does I'm interested, I know the suppliers here don't know either because when I mention it they have a kind of blank look on their face, I only install Viessmann boilers which use stainless exchanger material and have never met up with any aluminum boilers. Someone here may know the answer. When adding glycol I personnally flush the system, either with ph neutral cleaner or my flush cart, if copper pipe is soldered and not flushed and cleaned the flux can react with the glycol and very quikly become acidic (sometimes!) As for price, I'm in Canada so we opperate on different pricing but I can firmly say I wouldn't install a Mod/Con boiler for $2200 USD, the $4000 range plus sounds better to me. Anyhow, better to work with who is already there, problems are best solved together. And Marc is right, I wouldn't even consider installing a customer purchased boiler, it usually doesn't work out for anybody.
  • ph

Never mind, I see it is between 7 and 8.5. Recomended glycols for aluminum components, I can see how what would be good glycol ph would be to alkaline for ultra boiler, you know the glycol doesn't have to be scrapped, they can adjust the ph with an additive.
  • Xc8p2dC
    Xc8p2dC Member Posts: 41
    Will repost

Sorry Josh

Reply'ers can remove thiers as well
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    labor only contractors

when you supply your own equipment ,we love it. after installation you are on your own. all warranty belongs to you. every service call is C.O.D. just pay for it with the cash you saved on boiler purchase discount. any follow-up service work on normal contract jobs is offset by small mark-up on equipment. otherwise guys like you put every contractor out of business. we cannot feed a family by doing free work for clients only out to squeeze every drop of blood from us. it cannot work. .cheap can be expensive . you can never have it both ways unless you marry the installer. and there could be pitfalls there , too.
  • Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 395

I married the service dispatcher. Its worked out so far;)
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

I am still haunted by the hole in the bath spout job. She insisted on a hand held shower head. She has 55 pounds pressure in her basement and a decent flow of water. but the shower is on the top floor. 20 feet higher and 70 feet of 1/2" copper later by the time it winds around the basement and up stairs. And she wants to know why the 3/4" supplied first floor shower has a stronger flow.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    My solution ...

I married the facilities manager. NOW she manages my facilities as well as those of my customers. Let's just say it has been an "educational experience" for both of us .... but we are still having fun 12 years of "education" later.
  • Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 395

I guess that would make a company policy against nepotism difficult. We have worked together now for six years five of them married. It was the thing to do. Not many women under stand the industry but in her case she has been involved almost as long as I have. She defiantly knows how to deal with a customer.
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    Policy Statement

I think you meant to say "definitely"! lol (She defiantly knows how to deal with a customer.) But I like your line of reasoning because that description can be true as well. It wasn't until she had to deal with her first "whiney complainant" that she appreciated my assessment of her attitude when we first met. We sure have lots of laughs about it now though.
    SHE "who shalt not be dissed" has spent many days on the job working with me. When the customer referred to above complained about the fact I had a "girl on their project" and felt they should not have to pay for a "girl to waste my time" SHE "defiantly set the woman straight". I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that conversation!!
    I sensed something was up the next time I had dealings with the customer. The husband was just beside himself with laughter when he clued me in to parts of the story.
    SHE never said anything until I asked her point blank what happened. We still talk about that episode today, about six years after the fact. I still service the equipment and am sure to pass on HER greetings to the lady of the house.
    BTW They have since become friends.
  • Darrell_8
    Darrell_8 Member Posts: 8

My wife runs my books for me...in a previous contracting experience she also ran the phones, (pre-cell phones)...and refused to pass on any messages from contractors that were rude! She actually made them say please or threatened, (promised), to hang up on them until they could talk nice. She would...and they would call back immediately...some of them got hung up on several times until they called back and asked, in a very mannerly tone, if she could please pass on a message to me! She would then thank them for understanding that "circumstance is no excuse for poor behavior" and pass the message to me. To this day, they still talk nice to her and say please! There was one general who just couldn't do it...a real screamer who thought that it was his right to motivate people that way...he met his match in my wife. He eventually quit calling the house and took to leaving written notes tapd on the supply house wall!
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Warranty

I remembe a job they stole the water heater by lying and saying the brothers water heater was leaking. Then complained that I wouldn't get involved tring to get them warranty on the stolen tank when it was one month shy of 5 years since they installed it.
This discussion has been closed.