Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Clamp on Multimeters

Ken D.
Ken D. Member Posts: 836
You guys are great! Thanks!

Comments

• Ken D.
    Clamp om Multiometers

Anyone have any suggestions on clamp on multimeters? Quality, Reliability, Versatility, Ruggedness? The last two I bought were somewhat less than satisfactory. Thanks for your help.
  • Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684

I have a greenlee that I got at lowes and I love it. I use it multiple times every day and it is perfect for my needs.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    I currently

use a digital amprobe clamp on. It likes to be dropped and has a super fast thermistor. Deep in the dregs of the tool boxes and truck bottom. I keep two too cheap analogue meters one a clamp on and one just a multimeter. They tell me things the digital can not.

Way at the bottom is my Simpson 260 which is older than my first borne and the GOD of my ability to see loose electrons.

You have to see the flow.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Meters

I have a Fluke multimeter, at home and at work, great tool
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Instead of a clamp

I bought a Fluke from Graingers that has an open fork at the end. You just stick the wire between the forks and it reads amps. It's really nice in crowed junction boxes and panels where it would be hard to get the clamp all the way around and shut. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • tom_49
    tom_49 Member Posts: 269
    meters

I have been using Fluke meters for years. I think they are the best out there, rugged, reliable. You dont want any doubt in your mind that your meter might be "screwed up", which I have had a lot of guys tell me.

I just picked up a Fluke DMM 116. Its made with the hvac guy in mind. Comes with volt. leads and a k-type temp probe. Fluke also has TONS of different temp probes, clamp-on amp meters, clamp-on temp probes. You cant go wrong.

• Fluke

e only use Fluke. Very reliable, easy to use and take a ton of abuse!

• Ken D.
    Meters

Thanks to all. One last question. On the Fluke, how is the display when used outdoors in cold weather? The makes I have had give very sluggish readings and one would blank out completely below 30 degrees. Thanks again.
  • dana p._2
    dana p._2 Member Posts: 8
    clamp on meter

mines a 336 fluke. very rugged, very reliable.no display problems so far.-12degrees two weeks ago on a heatpump
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    In addition to the Flukes

I still have an old analog Sperry Snap 6 clamp on, around 30 yrs. old, works great....for those occasions when an old geezer like myself can't trust a digital.
  • realolman
    realolman Member Posts: 513
    I have

one of those too.

simple..... nice thin needle it's a good thing.
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    Fluke Fluke and more Fluke

Excellent reliability. However when the mercury dips waaaay down the Amprope RS 3 is still my old reliable. If my Simpson wasn't so cumbersome to drag out on the roof, it would be my only meter of choice
    My 2c
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,048
    For climate control

I'd look at UEI or Fluke. Fluke gets a lot of support here but UEI does a great job for climate control. Whatever you buy make sure it has a Microamp range for your ignition checks. The microamp symbol is a long nosed U.

I used to have a heck of a time with Autoranging meters. I was (or am) a tad dim with meters at times and with an autoranging meter and a modulating piece of equipment that meter would scan and scan and never settle down. I figured it out but I still prefer the manual adjustment of the UEI 383. Can't beat them for the money, imho.
  • tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 612
    I'm fond

of my Victor DM3218 available at Firedragonent.com. It really does it all with regard to heating/cooling service. I just recently picked mine up and highly recomend it. At least give it a look before you leap. I'm sure you'll be satisfied as its a nice unit. I am.
This discussion has been closed.