Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Right solution for DWH and hydronic heating coil

paule
paule Member Posts: 17
I'm a little confused and am looking for some advice on what sort of setup is reasonable for DHW and the hydronic heating coil used by our air handler. Our house has 3 bathrooms (i.e., 3 showers) and according to the specs for the air handler's hydronic heating coil it requires a water flow rate of between 2-5 gpm (at a water temperature of 160).

I've had a few contractors come by and have received just as many solutions:

(a) 2 Takagi T-K3 (11-199M) water heaters

(b) a Phoenix water heater (PH199-55) and a sidearm heater (type not specified)

(c) a Phoenix water heater (PH199-55) -- NO sidearm heater

(d) a Munchkin boiler (199M) and a Triangle Tube Smart 30 (30 gallon) sidearm tank

We live in an area that in the winter times the temperatures typically get down into the low 40's at night and up into the 60's or 70's during the day.

So do any of the above solutions seem reasonable? Is there anything else I should consider?

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

p.s. The location of the unit does have a height constraint, which is why the Phoenix water heater is the 55 gallon model.

Comments

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    I would go with a Triangle tube prestige boiler and maybe a 60

gallon superstore indirect, maybe staying down at the prestige solo 110 boiler to reduce cycling of boiler using a little more storage if it will fit. I think it will if the 55 phoenix fits. I like this option better than tankless in my opinion. I do find the TT boiler to be the best of the bunch $ for $.
  • paule
    paule Member Posts: 17

Thanks for the reply! And I apologize for not responding sooner ... damn flu.

So just out of curiosity, what's the downside to a tankless unit?

I've read good things about the TT boilers, but unfortunately there don't seem to be any installers in my area that are familiar with those units :-( Do you know if these boilers require any special knowledge to install, or perhaps even more importantly to service? I'd hate to get someone to install one, and then find out that I can't find anyone to properly service it.

Thanks,

Paul
This discussion has been closed.