Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

power burner issue

RonWHC
RonWHC Member Posts: 232
the firing rate motor & programmer are OK.

The S12 G/P has a Manual switch on the control cabinet. If the burner goes in hi fire w/ the manual switch @ Maximum, the problem is in the potentiometer circuit.

May be the pot. Or, it may be an improperly set, or defective, lo fire hold device. Normally an aquastat to keep burner in lo fire until boiler has warmed. Or, modulation may be interlocked thru a heat control. Follow the circuits until you find an open R to B.

Comments

• jhansen
    jhansen Member Posts: 59
    power burner issue

have a gordon piatt s12 g 50 power burner, two years old and it won't come into high fire. potentiometer perhaps? not too much experience on this particular unit so any and all help and suggestions welcomed. thanks.

• Is the firing rate being controlled automatically by a proportional controller or manually by the knob on the control panel?

Does the firing rate motor go through its full range of movement during prepurge? In purge it should go from minimum to max and back to minimum before ignition sequence is initiated.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Could be as simple as a defective pressure or temp control

depending on type of system. I was looking at a low high low burner yesterday and it would not mod into low fire?? Found closure wire in mod valve was disconnected! Well that was dumb, don't know who did that.
  • S Ebels_2
    S Ebels_2 Member Posts: 74
    Tim

Maybe a better question would be not who did it but why they did it. A lot of times when I run across something like that I try to find out if someone else has worked on it previously and quiz them or maybe the resident maint personnel
This discussion has been closed.