Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Phenoix w/h used for DHW & Geo backup? Any dirt?

greeny
greeny Member Posts: 14

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,832
    no dirt here

but I am on my second season with a Solar Phoenix. Problem free, very quiet. Nice having a modulating burner in a tank styled mod con package. It really handles small radiant loads nicely with that feature. Radiant via an external Taco radiant mixing HX block.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • greeny

Thanks hr... May sell one on my first LEED house. Owner is on a tight budget and can't afford radiant but is doing Geo air and asked if a tankless propane could do backup for geo. Thought this tank would be best and can order it w/ a coil for future solar. Solar is hot.com is pretty cool...JG
  • hot_rod
    stay away from

tankless for a heat source. Unless you find one specifically built to be used as a heat source (boiler). I get more problem calls on tankless as radiant boilers than any other issue in hydronics.

If you want a combi unit a product like the Laars Mascot, or Prestige with DHW package onboard works great. It's a high efficiency boiler, and DHW built in.

The Phoenix with the solar coil is a great concept if you want a one footprint, multi purpose, high efficiency device.

And by all means stay away from combined DHW and hydronic systems, that use the same device, and fluid to heat and supply DHW.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Ted G
    Ted G Member Posts: 63
    HVACTV.com

HVACTV.com had a Live Web Cast last night on the new Phoenix. This was filmed at the PHC AHR Expo/ASHRAE show. You should check it out.

http://digital-magic.tv/digitalplanet/phc/signup.php
  • greeny

HR, if the geo air handler is near the phoenix and the coil in the handler is all non-ferous and can handle street pressure, would'nt you just pipe it up w/a bronze pump? no HX. I mean obviously a different story if it was piped around the house ie baseboard or radiant. Just clairifing.JG
  • hot_rod
    better, but

still, mixing DHW and heating make me nervous. Elevated temperatures and short piping runs certainly lessen the bacteria risk. Most plumbing codes require the heating water be protected from the potable water by a backflow preventer. in my area it needs to be RPZ type preventer, with yearly certified inspection. Combined DHW/ hydronic proponents tend to ignore that code. as well as protecting the health of the nation.

Polaris still show combined DHW and air handler coils in their installation manual. In fact the ONLY way Polaris are allowed to be used as heating appliances is with DHW connected. Then it is considered a water heater, not a boiler, so the code issues tend to go away. Which is why some online radiant companies always show combined DHW/ radiant with Polaris. it's the only way Polaris will approve it. Ask them :)

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • greeny

Yes you are correct, the water in the heat coil though not much, will never move unless called and could get nasty.
  • EtienneHancock
    EtienneHancock Member Posts: 18
    How do you clean a Phoenix?

All of the latest mod-con durability threads got me thinking about this...

How are you supposed to clean out the heat exchange tubes on a Phoenix? Or is it considered "self cleaning"...

I'm a HO considering one for my house.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.