Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler recommendation

Girish
Girish Member Posts: 2
Hello,

I own a home that has radiant heating system, installed by previous owner. This system supplies radiant heating as well as hot water to the house. The boiler in place is a Teledyne Laars (EBP175) and in last 2 years it has broken twice. First time we had to replace PCB and the Ignitor switch (close to 1K in repairs). Then recently we started getting F-3 error code on the boiler which did not go away even after replacing the PCB yet again. We are now looking at prospects of replacing blower fan, fan vent and flow switch.....

In all this, I am faced with decision on whether to continue spending money on repairs (the boiler must be at least 10-12 years old or more) or replace the same - as I do not know what's next to go down.

Would appreciate any recommendations on boilers that are reliable with low total cost of ownership?

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

The pcb and flow switch are known issues, and have redesigned replacement parts. As for the other issues, it is really hard to fault the boiler and not know the history of it and if it was installed correct, vented correct, or ever serviced. with that being said, Laars is a fine product. Since this far into it's life, and no idea how it was treated. I would be tempted to shop new boilers but not urgently. The only HX issues I have ever seen were on boilers piped very badly. Very few boilers need no repairs in 10-15 years.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Girish
    Girish Member Posts: 2
    Thanks

Thank you Tim for your insight.I am hoping that replacing these additional parts will settle the problem at least for another few years. Will let the forum know how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.