Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tekmar TN4

hvacfreak
hvacfreak Member Posts: 439
...the Mac OS makes this easier than others , I've had to configure ports for different access on a LAN ( I guess it's the same ).

Does it seem to work as intended ? Have you had any trouble making changes like setpoint through the software?I'm looking at using it in a high school boiler room and it would be so nice to check this out early and view the status. Thanks for any input on this Rob ( and the original poster for the thread ).

Comments

• TN4

Has anyone sold a TN4 control system with the internet capability. I know Tekmar has it available. How user friendly is it? Is it only Mac based or can other computers be used to monitor it.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hvacfreak
    OSX YAY

I was looking at this controller last night as a matter of fact. It needs the latest Mac operating system for the server ( web - based ). From that point you can view the information with any configuration.

I don't understand why they just can't provide a BACNET interface and call it a day.

• we're playing with ours quite a bit. if you are not able to configure "port forwarding" on a router with confidence, you'll need to get some help.

the wiring and tekmar side of the integration is very easy, but the internet side of it does require basic working knowledge of networking hardware. That isn't necessarily hard, but it does take some learning.

If you know networking though, it's not bad at all. I have found the installer to be a bit buggy.. that is, I botched my first install of it all... so don't use the installation CD that comes with the kit.

• Theealchemist
    Theealchemist Member Posts: 59
    TN4

We have installed the gateway. Clients are quite happy with the ability to control and view rooms via the internet. Is Only MAC based but other PC's can view the gateway I believe once it's up and running.....

• configuraing the network port forwarding happens at the router, not at the mac, so having the mac doesn't help with that: you need to log into the router and tell it to send incoming calls to a particular port on to the mac's address.

I find configuring the mac itself painfully easy, but then, I'm a mac guy and always have been (so just imagine my glee here!). The instructions on that are pretty good though.. I think. I haven't had a non-mac guy do it yet though.

Other than that, I am very disappointed that we do not yet have access to more advanced settings via the gateway (such as reset parameters, etc) but changing thermostat room temps and toggling scenes is good. But honestly, I really want to be able to configure my whole system from a laptop. darn it!!!
  • hvacfreak
    thanks

And yeah...I was thinking of my situation ( School's LAN e-card set-up ).

Thanks for the description ( good / and not ). It sounds like it at least does what it claims ( status and a few adjustments ).

• AZ
    AZ Member Posts: 7
    mac

the only reason they say to use a mac is because it is pretty much plug and play. I found their installation steps to be quite easy to follow. You can use a PC as the server, however, it is much more difficult to look after (plus, the mac mini just looks cool on the wall). As soon as you put the 4 steps into play on the mac, you walk away.

• the software runs on windows?

that's pretty unusual, to have a cross platform program that isn't advertised as such.
This discussion has been closed.