Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ground Loop Heat Pump problems

2»

Comments

• Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    The bus driver

IMHO would have to be both. Cool and humid would not be comfortable. Neither would too warm and dry. Of course comfort is relative. Anybody that's ever worked on HVAC systems for office buildings where there's more than a couple of people working knows that "comfortable" is not the same for everybody!
  • chillin'

I design most of my geo chilled water systems for a 50° F set point and have had few problems, so I don't think 54 would be much of a stretch. Anyways, lower water temps = longer run times = better dehumidification. When coupled with chilled radiant I imagine you could go even higher. I read in the Rehau geo tech guide that natural cooling is recommended for only vertical & not horizontal loops because of the seasonal changes affecting horizontals.
  • John Piro
    John Piro Member Posts: 14
    GAHP!

Check out the Gas Absorbtion Heat Pump. Heats and cools using NG. Geo models need 1/3 of the wells compared to electric HP. Robur is the company that makes them. Saw one at Brookhaven Labs. Robur.com
  • It depends

I installed a geo system this year, Climatemaster water to water on a pump and dump. Outdoor reset in the buffer tank on a radiant heat system. My COP is over 5 and my electric bills are less than in the summer. I understand this type of system requires several things to work. Radiant heat, constant pressure pump, good supply of unlimited iron free water. But if you have these things there is no better or cheaper way to heat.
    TONY
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Happy mediums and conservation go hand in hand...

I'm thinking, that a person probably could get by with little compressor energy of the dwelling it is applied to is RE-conditioned, i.e. keeping the solar gains outside of the envelope, reducing radiant gains form the attic (foil bubble foil) and educating the consumer as to the real needs of air conditioning.

As with using ANY precious(solar, GSHP, geothermal) btu, conservation FIRST, alternative energy SECOND, and education always...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.