Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for pictures of Mod/con boilers opened for service

2»

Comments

• Pj_5
    Pj_5 Member Posts: 6
    combustion analyzer

Curious to know which ca you use. Have had lots of service issues with my bacharach.

Thanks
  • greeny
    greeny Member Posts: 14

I recently had a no heat on a Vitodens 200 i installed 2 years ago. Had to replace the radial fan (strange). Anyhow i observed the same "crumbs" on the bottom. Is this the "mouse poop" you guys refer to? Also alot of brown staining on the target wall but i think that is staining from condensation because it is a "wet" condensing wall. I have installed a dozen Vitodens 100s in the past year and have yet to be back.

• My Bachrach (PCA2) displays the wrong year but otherwise OK. No field adjustment but it goes back in for calibration this spring anyway.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    OOPS

My mistake! We don't install the coax venting arrangement because of freeze ups of the grilss and combustion air inlets. We have redone a number of installations installed by others that had the coax venting arrangements. In our area, Montreal, we have some of the highest humidity cold weather in NA. Things that work in Alaska and Minnesota, don't work here. As an example, Bradford/White Eforce condensing hot water tanks get drowned flue passages. We are the only area where this happens.
  • condensation

I know where your coming from, I'm originnally from Timmins, way north! Often we do things one pipe because of freezing, I here Montreal is a hard place for venting. As for the brown crud, is there a drier vent on the same wall? Kind of looks like a mix of lint and drier sheets. I have a 100 that gets that often, drier vent is 12+ feet away but seems to travel past the boiler vent, unbelievably I moved the drier vent and it has been fine.

• Bacharach 300, old, heavy,probably has vacuum tubes in it! works wonderful but doesnt like being cold. Has nox also, kind of interesting to see. Buying a Systronic from KWelectronics, nice machines.
  • beautiful

beautiful install, like the finger duct for the wiring! How do you like the press fit fittings?
  • High humidity in Montreal.

That is interesting. Keeps the manufacturers on their toes!
  • greeny
    greeny Member Posts: 14

My Testo 327 has been great.
  • heatboy_17
    heatboy_17 Member Posts: 3
    It has been more than 5 years now........

..... and thousands of fittings later, and I don't think I would ever switch back to soldering. Still have to solder a few things, but more than 90% is press. I have only used Viega and since I haven't had any issues, I don't think I would use anything else as long as Viega is available in my area.
  • Buzz G.
    Buzz G. Member Posts: 61
    Cleaning boiler

Ken, I looked at this German website. Do you know of any USA based distributors of this or a similar product??
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    excessive cycling?

i wonder if many of these problems are due to excessive cycling?

• Buzz G.
    Buzz G. Member Posts: 61

Ken, does that German maker of the boiler cleaning equipment have an American distributor??
  • Miniature trees...

Sean from our company found this one.

By the way, effective in four minutes, I'm no longer an employee of this company.

Thanks for the 10 year run guys. It's been great!

ME
  • Ken_58
    Ken_58 Member Posts: 1
    cleaner

Buzz

I found that on the NTI website at: http://www.nythermal.com/

Maybe you can source it from them.

Ken
  • Ron Smevik
    Ron Smevik Member Posts: 10
    recent heatxchanger replacement

here is a Quietside QVM-9 after 5 years with no service....
  • hydronx_3
    hydronx_3 Member Posts: 35
    ultra

eeeww I didn't know they had quietside boilers installed on the Titanic!

Here are some pics from a 5 yr old Ultra I came across. Not sure how a guy is suppose to get back in to clean the pins toward the back of the hx??
  • Gene_5
    Gene_5 Member Posts: 11
    CO

people are fools that do not get condensing equipment like this serviced

rarely do they wake up to complain

guess you could call it natural selection
  • Installation and Maintenance

The Ultra looks quite good to me, dry, brush-able clinkers if you will. I see no deterioration of the heat transfer surface and the boiler is still working.

They make brushes to clean between the fins. This looks like a nice clean burn and great for 5 years of neglect.

After I do a combustion analysis I look for the start-up sheet in the manufacturer's installation manual. Seven brands and I have not found one filled out in the last 4 years!

I don't think anyone really expects something for nothing, but they sound like it once in awhile.
  • hydronx_3
    hydronx_3 Member Posts: 35
    ultra firebox insulation

does the boiler manufacture sell the brushes to clean or where can I find them?
    Also here is a picture of the insulation on the backside of the cover. Is that normal? I had to get the boiler back operating but figured on bidding replacing it next time it needs cleaned.
  • ModCon boiler service

I find the brushes at my local hardware. Sometimes called radiator brushes.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/439238/Tough_Guy_1VAK6_Radiator_Brush

This picture shows evidence of too much heat (perhaps over-fired. I would clock the meter, the gas pressure and the delta T across the boiler. I would end by filling out the installation startup sheet.

The factory would be a good place to go for more feedback.
This discussion has been closed.