Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiator Balancing Problem

Options
mark ransley
mark ransley Member Posts: 155
Gorton has different size vents if you rent, If its your home Dole, Maid o mist has adjustable vents. Is garage radiator level, it should not be, maybe return vents are bad.

Comments

• Mystic Laker
    Mystic Laker Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Steam Radiator Balancing Problem (I think?)

Hi,

We live in 2 story (plus basement) house with a single pipe steam system. The problem is with a large radiator located in the garage (attached to basement). This radiator does not have an air valve on it, and I see lots of steam escaping from it. When I put an air-valve on it, it completely shuts down that radiator. Simulatenously, two upstairs radiators that normally are slow to heat up (or sometimes not at all) heat up to normal heating tempreatures. I've tried some different valves, and from what I can tell it sounds like I have a system balance problem. Any advice on how to proceed, or any local contractors in Eastern Mass would may be able to help with the problem would be appreciated.

Thank you.

• Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Options
    Norm Harvey

Give Norm a shout, norm (at) indoil.com

As for the garage radiator, I have a question:

If steam is shooting out of it but a vent stops the steam (as vents should!), do you also mean that the radiator ceases to heat entirely?

What is that elevation relative to the boiler water-line?

You say Mystic Lake, are you in Arlington, Medford or Winchester?

Worth taking a look.
  • Mystic Laker
    Options

We own...

The radiator is does have pitch back to the furncnace, but it is hung horizontal. Here is a picture. I am not sure if it was an addition to the existing system at some point, so never properly balanced.

2009-01-26 002

Is your recommendation to get a maid-of-mist vent, and that should do the balancing automatically? Since it is hung horizontially, anything special I need to do with the vent I purchase?

Thank you again for your help.
  • Mystic Laker
    Options

We are in Medford, right next to the Mystic Lakes!

Thanks for your help.

Really appreciate your help with the contact. It's hard to find anyone who knows about these old systems! The furnace is new, but everything else is a big mystery to anyone who questions to...
  • Mystic Laker
    Options

And here are the answers to your question:

As for the garage radiator, I have a question:

If steam is shooting out of it but a vent stops the steam (as vents should!), do you also mean that the radiator ceases to heat entirely?
    Answer: Yes, that is exactly what happens.

What is that elevation relative to the boiler water-line? It is above the water boiler line I believe, because it is hung in the basement.

Thanks.

• Mystic Laker
    Options

And in case you didn't see my first note:

Date: January 29, 2009 11:43 AM
    Author: Mystic Laker

We are in Medford, right next to the Mystic Lakes!

Thanks for your help.

Really appreciate your help with the contact. It's hard to find anyone who knows about these old systems! The furnace is new, but everything else is a big mystery to anyone who questions to...

I just noticed how the replies are setup in this forum, and wanted to make sure you knew how helpful this is!
  • mark ransley
    Options

Steam escaping is bad if its continual, you then add very cold water to the boiler and reheat it and sediment comes out of the new water messing up the boiler, less efficiency, more maintenance. To balance you vary air release manualy until it heats, Return vents must be working first. If its leaking all the time shut it off until you fix it, What leaks, is vent hole open?
  • Pin
    Pin Member Posts: 61
    Options

It's not continual, but often.

I really don't want to shut it off because the garage would get pretty cold, and we have water pipes than would have the potential to freeze.

The vent hole is open, and that is where the steam comes from. As soon as I add an airvent to it, it shuts off. Do you think that a maid of mist airvent would be appropriate for this situation. Should I buy a few and and see what size works? Is there a specific type of valve to use for a horizontal mounted radiator like this?

I also contacted Norm Harvey to see if he can come out, but if I can resolve myself that would be just dandy of course...

ML
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Options
    Good

I was hoping that was the case, but thought it might be a lower elevation installation which could freeze.

Balancing is really a semi-manual process, selecting what are often fixed-rate vents based on the expected time to vent their assigned volumes. The goal is to have all vents come up to temperature at as close to the same time as possible.

Despite calculations, there is still some trial and error procedure involved, but not too much. Plan as much as you can.

I would also get a copy of Gerry Gill and Steve Pajek's book, "Balancing Steam Systems Using a Venting Capacity Chart" (Sku #: 300). Well worth it.

As for the vent stopping all heating and the radiator goes cold, as in dead cold, I wonder if the vent is plugged or if it gets hot once, stops venting then goes stone-cold forever? That last scenario seems odd.
  • Pin
    Pin Member Posts: 61
    Options

I think I will order some maid of mist vents of different sizes and try them out. This radiator is long (12 feet) so I might get both a size c or d.

What is the difference between straight and angle vents, and is their a preference for a horizontal application like I have?

I am also going to order the e-book...

Thanks again.
  • mark ransley
    Options

Get electric heat tape so pipes wont freeze and put insulation over it all.
    Shut off radiator or put in that vent you have, Buy an adjustable vent and try it, at least put in a vent.

Continualy adding water is not smart. Vari Vent is real fast and hard to find. Vent opening faces up. If you never replaced a return vent buy some.
    Do you drain and flush boiler often of a gallon or two, do so.
    It might be cheaper to run heat tape than heat a garage.

What vents do you have now, its DIY to balance it but takes time. Are house vents old, what brand, Vents go bad and can lock open or not vent so if its your home maybe just cheap Maid O mist adjustables will do it and allow you to balance it.My hardware store has Maid o Mist, Chinese stuff is junky. Dole is Expensive for adjustables.

You can Do it.Get Dans books, soon you will know more than some pros and most and get efficient. And I still know very little about steam
This discussion has been closed.